Northern Light

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Good morning UT. It is my custom to post new development threads here based on either publicly filed applications, press releases or publicly filed lobbying documents.

I do from time to time, have knowledge of proposals before they become public, but often that is not sharable for business reasons and/or to protect sources.

In this case, while my source wishes to remain private, I have permission to share........

That the flagship Canadian Tire on Yonge, just north of Church/Davenport will be redeveloped.

Plans are afoot for a multi-tower proposal. I don't have an exact number.

Having examined the site, depending on configuration, I can easily imagine fitting 3 towers. By sheer area, more are possible, but that depends on any internal public space/road arrangements, separation distances and various other issues;
including some rather oddly shaped and awkwardly placed bits of the site.

Of note, my source was not able to confirm whether or not the gas station site which is a legally discrete parcel was included.

That site is rather small for a tower, but its use to fulfill parks/outdoor space needs or a portion of a tower base would change the potential arrangement of the balance of the site.

Now let's have a look at what is or may be in play:

Below is an aerial pic with the legally discrete 839 Yonge site highlighted. I have excluded the gas station here.

1640094991989.png

Site size is just a hair under 1ha or 2.4 acres.

Below is an aerial w/the gas station added in to the site:

1640095102416.png

Together the site would be just a bit larger than 1ha or about 2.6 acres

As one can see the gas station is a small fragment, and one encumbered by having the already built condo next door.

The site also extends in behind what were known as 'The Fellowship Towers' on Yonge, hemmed in by them and the railway corridor.

I am told the proposal is envisioned to have a new Canadian Tire store built into it.

That's all I really know......at this point........

Streetview is here:

1640095310782.png

What I would like to see on this site, begins with this: (from the Toronto archives, as noted)

1640095355533.png

That is what the heritage 'facade' of Canadian Tire looked like originally w/the store behind it.

I would like to see a proper restoration, w/the store behind it, and the original signage and awnings put back and even that entrance canopy.

I think it would also be great if redevelopment here could envision a public walkway or easement leading to a bridge/deck crossing the subway tracks, and then affording residents here easier access to the Rosedale Valley Parklands.

Whether either of those are being considered at this point, I do not know; but they should be, imo.

If I get more news...........I will share, if I can.

Last edited:
Three towers on this parcel of land wow! They're probably going to be highrise towers and maybe a low end skyscraper into the mix. Because of some nimbyism that will eventually occur from the neighbours in the Rosedale area lol . But the higher the better if they look classy!

Nah, it's probably going to be used to secure some useless POPs space (aka a "park" that's really a parkette because the downtown doesnt have enough park space and the parkette will solve the problem).

Don't let your cynicism win.

Let it inform.

This development will be compelled to offer a connection across the subway tracks to the Rosedale Valley parklands, should it not offer that voluntarily.

Swift passage (saving a year) is potentially worth a lot of money..............

Lets make sure, when this application arrives, that the applicant and planning know what is expected, and what will secure support and minimize opposition.

And the value of that.

Following a bridge going over the tracks, I can imagine a very nice accessible ramp leading south down to Severn Street and the 1914 Eden Smith designed Studio Building that the Group of Seven used.

And on the other end at the top of the ramp, I can imagine a nice pedestrian space with patios leading to Yonge Street. Could be a nice little pocket in between the towers.

Don't let your cynicism win.

Let it inform.

This development will be compelled to offer a connection across the subway tracks to the Rosedale Valley parklands, should it not offer that voluntarily.

Swift passage (saving a year) is potentially worth a lot of money..............

Lets make sure, when this application arrives, that the applicant and planning know what is expected, and what will secure support and minimize opposition.

And the value of that.
I wonder if the City would trade allowing development over the section of subway track to get some sort of land/pedestrian bridge over the subway as a tradeoff.
There is no pedestrian connection being proposed as part of this.

Back