I don't have very high hopes with P+S/IBI Group at the helm. Have they ever produced a condo that wasn't medicore? Chaz, 33 Bay, West One, Museum House, Matrix, Waterpark City, Maple Leaf Square.... I'll give them credit for the Met, but am totally expecting this proposal to be a tall column of green glassed, grey pre-casted garbage.

I don't have very high hopes with P+S/IBI Group at the helm. Have they ever produced a condo that wasn't medicore? Chaz, 33 Bay, West One, Museum House, Matrix, Waterpark City, Maple Leaf Square.... I'll give them credit for the Met, but am totally expecting this proposal to be a tall column of green glassed, grey pre-casted garbage.

hmm, it's too early too tell but I think Chaz has a ton of potential, Waterpark City was pretty great too ..

So it seems a little hit or miss, none of the other buildings are terrible either.

hmm, it's too early too tell but I think Chaz has a ton of potential, Waterpark City was pretty great too ..

So it seems a little hit or miss, none of the other buildings are terrible either.

Waterpark City, and all its nebulous green-glassed brethern along the waterfront, are some of the worst towers to have ever gone up in this city, aside from the slabs in St. James Town.

No thanks.

Waterpark City, and all its nebulous green-glassed brethern along the waterfront, are some of the worst towers to have ever gone up in this city, aside from the slabs in St. James Town.

No thanks.

Oh wait sorry!

I was thinking about waterclub condos (which again are quite nice!) ... when you said green glass I was puzzled. Yea those are terrible ...

I walked on Scott St yesterday and I don't think it's the Royal and Sun Alliance building. The address of that buidling is on the Wellington E St and that side of Scott St is actually odd numbers, the other side is even numbers. I can't really pinpoint where 40 Scott St is but if anything, it's possibly the area where the bike rack is behind the building with Vegabondo.

Royal and Sun Alliance is abandoning the building for Southcore. I rather not see the building replaced with residential and 58 storeys will be a tough sell so close to Old York

It is the Royal Sun Alliance building.

On north-south streets in Toronto, the west side has even numbers and the east side has odd numbers. (On east-west streets, the north side is even and the south side is odd.)

Here's the address from map.toronto.ca:

40ScottTorontoMap.jpg

I prefer this location to 1 bloor. But I value being close to Union Station, Island airport, Via rail, the business area. I bet this area will be worth more than Yonge/Bloor one day.

I hope we get to see renders!!!

^Well, that is a weird metric, but probably one that would appeal to a lot of people on this forum! Incidentally, that is actually one of the more transparent metrics of the ones they have up there.

The metric has nothing to do with any kind of skyscraper geek/fetish, but rather the economic impact. According to a recent report by Will Dunning, about 7% of Canadian employment is in construction and for each $1 million invested in residential construction 5.54 jobs are created in the Ontario construction industry, 2.93 jobs are created as indirect jobs in other Ontario industries and 0.85 jobs are created elsewhere in Canada (total of 9.32 full time employment jobs). Right now in Toronto there are billions of dollars of land development and construction being invested in both the residential condo and office market which is a huge jobs and wealth generator in terms of the economic impact on the city, province and canada. And that is just the construction angle vs the long-term benefits of investing in our downtown core and expanding both living and employment opportunities in the city.

Last edited:
There's no homes, schools or parks nearby to cast any of those dreaded shadows nor any view corridors to ruin, why stop at 58 here? I'd also rather see this as office use but condos are where the demand seems to be right now.

Berczy Park is right across the street.

I prefer this location to 1 bloor. But I value being close to Union Station, Island airport, Via rail, the business area. I bet this area will be worth more than Yonge/Bloor one day.

I'd prefer this area too, and don't forget being a quick walk to Front Street shops and St. Lawrence Market.

You basically answered your own question - The Met, the best building to go up in this boom between the CBD & Yorkville.
Also with regards to Chaz, lets not judge a building by the renders alone.

But the park is to the south of the tower. Would this tower's shadow even approach the park?

Summer it would. Park is not exactly south. Look at I42's map above.

Here is a little more info from city planning.

40 SCOTT ST

OPA / Rezoning 11 190645 STE 28 OZ Ward 28
- Tor & E.York May 9, 2011 --- --- --- Henstock, Sarah
416-392-7196

The purpose of the rezoning application is to permit a 58-storey residential building comprised of a 5-storey podium and 53-storey tower. The proposed building is 195 metres tall including the mechanical penthouse and contains 513 units. The gross floor area of the building is 48,605 square metres which includes 734 square metres of ground floor retail uses. The proposal includes 365 car parking spaces in 5 levels of underground parking. The applicant is proposing to demolish the existing 7-storey structure and preserve and reuse its stone cladding for the new podium. The applicant has advised it is their intent to develop this project as a condominium.

I passed by the existing building yesterday. It looks a bit like a 20's building that had a makeover/extension in the 80's. A little plain and Frankenstein-ish but I like it! Does anyone know its history?

Back