Blows my mind that this little stinker of a building got a heritage designation. Yet meanwhile, the barbarians rule the roost when it comes to the ruthless chain ball demo/plunder of the Banting Building on College and beautiful heritage buildings of St Michaels hospital.

Blows my mind that this little stinker of a building got a heritage designation. Yet meanwhile, the barbarians rule the roost when it comes to the ruthless chain ball demo/plunder of the Banting Building on College and beautiful heritage buildings of St Michaels hospital.

Did you write to your City Councillor; or the planner on any of the files in question, or Heritage Preservation Services, seeking protection for any of the above?

I'm not trying to be inflammatory in any way, but to sincerely ask; and to point out, if you want something done; go do it.

I meddle in City processes all the time; but I can't meddle in every one, I simply don't have the time or energy, and frankly I'd be ignored if I was messaging my view 2x daily.

But you can absolutely take the time to raise concerns, and you should.

You can see what buildings are currently protected online here:

Pink is full protection (as much as we have such a thing); yellow only means 'listed' as in 'we think it's important, but we haven't done anything about it yet.

You can also search by property here:

Really? It was architected by one of Canada's most renowned architects - who designed Canada's contributions to the United Nations in NYC, who designed the Supreme Court building, the main building at the University of Montreal, etc. It may not have been the best-known building, but it had heritage value.

See how pretty it is, and how it fits so well with the surroundings? :) Photos taken from my living room.
20230304_080202.jpg
20230304_081350.jpg

Last edited:
Sad to be losing this building, Those courtyards look peaceful. It's too bad that instead of finding another use for this, it will be demo'd.

New renderings are updated in the database. The minor changes are as followed. The height changed from 130.90m to 129.40m. The total car parking increased from 119 parking to 122 parking.

Rendering taken from the arch. plan via SPA.

PLN - Architectural Plans - Architectural Part 2_95 St Joseph_July 5 2023-53.jpg

PLN - Architectural Plans - Architectural Part 2_95 St Joseph_July 5 2023-60.jpg

PLN - Architectural Plans - Architectural Part 2_95 St Joseph_July 5 2023-59.jpg

PLN - Architectural Plans - Architectural Part 2_95 St Joseph_July 5 2023-54.jpg

do i see grey spandrel 🤦‍♂️
It's amazing how the rendering uses those arches to draw us away from that fact...when we bloody well know it will be that spandrel that will draw away from everything else, turning this into likely a dog's breakfast when built. /sigh

Last edited:

Back