jaco_says

Member Bio
Reaction score
The Abbey on College St is being replaced by a 3-story multi-use building containing 17 residential units and ground floor retail and underground parking according to the permits. They have started the demolishing of the existing building today.

IMG_7522.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_7522.JPG
    IMG_7522.JPG
    298.3 KB · Views: 2,088
The building across the street is six or seven storeys, if memory serves. I'm surprised they aren't trying for a little more here.

The building across the street is six or seven storeys, if memory serves. I'm surprised they aren't trying for a little more here.

It is seven storeys. I live in the building which is where this photo was taken from. I am just surprised they can fit 17 units on such a small lot. The units must be small.

Putting 17 units above street retail on that site is a very suitable level of intensification for this area.

“It’s Iike a ‘war zone’”:

4B17AD96-856F-4286-B7F8-4D4F654FBC2B.jpeg

Yeah, looks the bombing of Dresden all right.

Must be a huge case if their lawyer is letting his/her law clerk do the press statements.

This is an affordable housing project by the City:

Projects recommended by city staff this year are: 685 Queen St. E. (32 affordable units); 2217 Kingston Rd. (24 affordable units); 591 Finch St. W. (159 affordable units); 884 Kingston Rd. (30 affordable units); 82 Buttonwood Ave. (106 affordable units); 989 College St. (17 affordable units); 3775-4005 Dundas St. W. (63 affordable units); and 1236 Birchmount Rd. (220 affordable units).

Site Plan Approval application submitted:

Development Applications

Project description:
Proposal for a 3-storey mixed-use building containing 17 rental residential dwelling units. The proposed residential gross floor area is 990.52 square metres, and the proposed non-residential gross floor area is 186.85 square metres. See 02-035102 SHY 18 SA for reference

Guess this will rack up as another case of good that it's affordable housing, but why so little? They could've gone for double the height and units.

58 sq.m. average unit size. These won't be family units, that's for sure.

Didn't capture a picture but there is now an office trailer and excavator on sight moving around dirt. Has been there for about week with constant activity. Small crew as well.

In sadder news Barocco X Nino across the street is closed as their lease has ended and they try to find a new spot. According to the letter on the door something else is already planned to replace it.

Back