raptor

Member Bio
Reaction score
A new application appeared on PlanIt for 4 high rise towers at the south east intersection of Jane and Rutherford (in front of Vaughan Mills, north of Park Avenue Place condos).

A public hearing meeting will take place on April 4.

upload_2018-3-26_10-1-52.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-3-26_10-1-52.png
    upload_2018-3-26_10-1-52.png
    158 KB · Views: 4,712
If I understand correctly, that was the old plan. There is a new plan now, hence the new public hearing meeting.

That may be the case. I just noticed that the public hearing notice mentioned "The application would facilitate the related Official Plan and Zoning By-law Amendment Files OP.06.028 and Z.06.075 to permit High Density Residential Development" which is the file I linked above. I believe the only difference is the "Caldari Lands".

I find it interesting that the website has some interface in Spanish.
Just a gimmick, as they're going with a Spanish name for the complex (also a gimmick). I do, expect, however, that the gimmick will likely attract a ~1% over standard Hispanic buy-in at the complex compared to in the population at large.

That's the whole development. Abeja is the first phase, and is the tree tower block at the bottom left of the rendering.

The density around Vaughan Mills proposed has a lot of issues with it. The developers are pushing for way, way more density (like several orders of magnitude more) than the City wants to see, the area already has huge traffic issues, there isn't really a lot of transit, and there are servicing issues in the area from my understanding.

From what I recall, each developer in the area has basically been approved to build their first "phase", with later phases only allowed to move forward once servicing and transit issues have been addressed.

The new density may *finally* push VIVA to introduce their Viva Silver service on Jane like they have been talking about for 15 years though, so there is that.

That's the whole development. Abeja is the first phase, and is the tree tower block at the bottom left of the rendering.

The density around Vaughan Mills proposed has a lot of issues with it. The developers are pushing for way, way more density (like several orders of magnitude more) than the City wants to see, the area already has huge traffic issues, there isn't really a lot of transit, and there are servicing issues in the area from my understanding.

From what I recall, each developer in the area has basically been approved to build their first "phase", with later phases only allowed to move forward once servicing and transit issues have been addressed.

The new density may *finally* push VIVA to introduce their Viva Silver service on Jane like they have been talking about for 15 years though, so there is that.
Rutherford and Major Mac subway stations can be open long before they get all those towers built!

I think there's also the issue of COVID pushing cities to approve more density than they otherwise would because they're desperate for the tax revenue/development charges. IMO we're already seeing this to a certain extent in Richmond Hill at Yonge/16th and Yonge/Elgin Mills.

Back