Looks great! We could use more corten in this city.

I'm officially joining the "cant wait, its amazing" camp thats forming here.

As I'm usually a very cynical person, when I first heard that Ace would be coming to Toronto, I was expecting them to do what they've done with almost every other hotel.... build a generic Architects Alliance glass box, license the name of the hotel for about 100 hotel rooms, but add 30 stories of condos above it. (*Ahem* Thompson Hotel, Four Seasons)

So I'm thrilled that they're doing a beautiful subtle design, and not focusing on squeezing every potential penny out of this project. I'm also a bit surprised this is all being done by Ace, as it doesn't really seem to fit their M.O. I've been to the Ace in NY and London, and their rooms tend to be very bare-bones, bunk-beds, exposed pipes; Very nice, but this design looks much more sophisticated. Makes me very very excited.

yaaayy!

I know it will be a very different design, but it kind of reminds me of the Scholastic building in NY. (red, steel, kinda riffing on industrial)

tumblr_mpzszx7cm01sxr3ioo2_1280.jpg

Attachments

• tumblr_mpzszx7cm01sxr3ioo2_1280.jpg
    tumblr_mpzszx7cm01sxr3ioo2_1280.jpg
    804 KB · Views: 711
Agree. Super-cool.

Oddly enough, in London the Ace took over a characterless 1990s Crowne Plaza, which they renovated extensively...but actually not all that much. The overall effect is pretty weird. Like if a pack of tattooed hipsters (who throng the bar at all hours) were staging a sit-in at a suburban Ramada.

Another image from the Zinc Developments site that hasn't been posted as far as I can tell:

49 CAMDEN ST
Ward 20 - Tor & E.York District

Redevelopment of a 620 square metre (0.15 acre) property located on the southeast corner of Camden Street and Brant Street, municipally known as 49 and 51 Camden Street (the subject site), for a 13-storey hotel with a partially integrated mechanical penthouseThe new Ace Hotel would consist of 130 hotel suites, a lower level restaurant, a gymnasium, a ground floor hotel lobby and various hotel-related meeting rooms. A penthouse lounge and outdoor terrace would be located on the 13th floor. A total gross floor area of 7,918 square metres is proposed.
Proposed Use --- # of Storeys --- # of Units ---
Applications:
Type Number Date Submitted Status
Rezoning 15 209675 STE 20 OZ Aug 19, 2015 Under Review

Exciting news! Now if we also could get a Virgin Hotel that would be even more exciting. Stayed at the new Virgin Hotel in Chicago and Sir Richard Branson needs to bring his awesome concept to TO.

We have let the City know, just in case no-one else has, and will hope to have the corrected report soon!

This is what infill should look like! Simple, understated, but well designed and built with quality materials (of course I understand these are early days, but still...)

Back