Shim-Sutcliffe should be allowed to design more buildings, IMO.
I'm sure it's not a question of being allowed to! I would imagine that they're pretty selective about the commissions they take on. In a sense, that's a good thing, because the few projects they do design benefit from their incredible attention to detail.

I'm sure it's not a question of being allowed to! I would imagine that they're pretty selective about the commissions they take on. In a sense, that's a good thing, because the few projects they do design benefit from their incredible attention to detail.
I figured as much...but I can always dream and hope too.

I'd love to see them tackle an affordable housing project but it seems like they exclusively work with super wealthy clients.
They did design the lovely Sisters of St Joseph residence, and while I have no idea what the financials for that were like, I can't imagine that the nuns are super wealthy.

(Though re-reading that article now, apparently it was a $40 million project, so definitely not pocket change.)

I have struggled with the ethics regarding the level of fame Integral house received. Yeah, it’s beautiful but I personally would have trouble accepting a commission or fee knowing my client made a fortune indepting hundreds of students in persuit or higher education. The cost of integral house’s construction alone could have advanced the lives and wellbeing of hundreds of people in the city, however I understand that nobody can be compelled to spend their fortunes on anything they don’t want to. I look forward to their future work but I also think the level of praise they’ve received isn’t really worthy considering how few of their projects get to be enjoyed by the public or enhance the city around them beyond the property values of their owners.

Tue Sept 1, 2020

17E6404C-FA90-4FAB-9E01-679853AC56E9.jpeg

1DC03D7C-556E-4502-82CD-59AC55276271.jpeg

651D23D5-D0C7-4852-9780-6A1388041C6C.jpeg

BB3D54BF-519C-4848-92A9-A702ABBB09EE.jpeg

8457B934-EC5A-485F-94C3-28073E23884F.jpeg

C640E2A4-8996-4D0D-B190-CF313BAE6039.jpeg

948D5EDD-8077-4183-9BFA-D2FFE1D6D70D.jpeg

I have struggled with the ethics regarding the level of fame Integral house received. Yeah, it’s beautiful but I personally would have trouble accepting a commission or fee knowing my client made a fortune indepting hundreds of students in persuit or higher education. The cost of integral house’s construction alone could have advanced the lives and wellbeing of hundreds of people in the city, however I understand that nobody can be compelled to spend their fortunes on anything they don’t want to. I look forward to their future work but I also think the level of praise they’ve received isn’t really worthy considering how few of their projects get to be enjoyed by the public or enhance the city around them beyond the property values of their owners.
Not really related, but I often think that if Drake had better taste he would have bought Integral House instead of that tacky thing on The Bridal Path.

Oh...that round thing is a frame for a rotating door. Sorry, I just realized that. Silly me. :(

The black trim on the podium looks sharp. PJ condos would've looked much better if the mullions used were black instead of grey/navy,

Back