I imagine costs and funding became a challenge, as it usually does, and resulted in a teeny bit of value engineering. And COVID certainly hasn't helped the hotel business. It's incredible that they've pulled this off and are even talking about opening soon in 2021. Having said that, I think even if the top is painted a darker colour, perhaps a black matching the window mullions, it can disappear pretty nicely.

Photo from Alterra's Twitter update:

ace.jpg

Forgive me UT gods. I, thine lowly servant of design implementation and observation, do beg for forgiveness. For when I cast my eyes upon this edifice, I am struck by the overwhelming compulsion to chunder violently.

In other words..barf!

I imagine costs and funding became a challenge, as it usually does, and resulted in a teeny bit of value engineering. And COVID certainly hasn't helped the hotel business. It's incredible that they've pulled this off and are even talking about opening soon in 2021. Having said that, I think even if the top is painted a darker colour, perhaps a black matching the window mullions, it can disappear pretty nicely.

Such a shame to value engineer only the top max 5% of the buildings exterior. But I agree, a darker coat of paint might save this. Here's to hoping!

The light coloured penthouse level likely came out of discussions with residents or working groups, to minimize the impact of the height - lighter material being used here, would (hopefully) blend in with the sky more.

Now, is it successful? No.
Is the building interesting or well designed? No.
Should I care? No.
Do I care? Somewhat.

Forgive me UT gods. I, thine lowly servant of design implementation and observation, do beg for forgiveness. For when I cast my eyes upon this edifice, I am struck by the overwhelming compulsion to chunder violently.

In other words..barf!

Chunder??? :D

Back