I thought local residents were concerned that the original design was too different from the surrounding built form; how does this redesign address those concerns? It is still very much different than anything in the neighbourhood. Why would this be more accepted by the community than the previous design?

The redesign still looks nice, but I much prefer the original plan.

It doesn't really have to look anything like its context or be accepted by any member of the community. These sorts of redesigns are purely to help expedite the project by appeasing planning, a local councillor or the ratepayers association.

What we saw originally was still quite early and conceptual in a lot of ways; the changes are also just part of the natural evolution of a project as it comes closer to reality.

I think the existing older stock of rental units along Yonge in this part of town are a real treasure. If I was a small family looking to rent in the city I think these would be very appealing - great schools and amenities in a neighborhood otherwise priced out of reach. In that light, I would rather the existing stock was fixed up and upgraded to earn higher rents than torn down for a new build. I know there is a pretty large - bigger, taller is always better contingent on the forum - but there is already decent density around here and sometimes I would rather take some thing nice and make it better than trying to start from scratch all the time. Also - this property owner seems like kind of sketch.

Got this from Jaye Robinson's newsletter:

Status: The applicant appealed to the OMB before City Planning could report on the application. A mediation hearing was scheduled for January 11, 2016. The OMB has not released their decision.

How long does the OMB generally take to disclose a decision?

It often takes a month or two for the decision to appear.

From Jaye Robinson's latest newsletter:

Alaska (2779 and 2781 Yonge Street and 16-17 and 19-21 Strathgowan)

Applicant: 165584 Ontario Ltd.

Proposal: 11-storey residential building with 102 condominium units, 29 rental replacement units and ground floor retail.

Status: The applicant appealed to the OMB before City Planning could report on the application. The OMB approved a nine-storey building on the site.

Contact: John Andreevski (City Planner) at 416-395-7097 or jandree@toronto.ca or Julie Nolan (OMB Case Coordinator) at 416-326-6782

Any idea when this will go into sales?

Back