8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

animatronic

Member Bio
Reaction score
So it looks like we're going to start heading the polls "officially" on Sunday. It probably makes sense to create a thread specifically on the election and its impact on Toronto and the GTA (lest it all get crammed into Rob Ford's Toronto, no doubt). Which party has the best vision for Toronto? Which local candidates are the best to carry Toronto's interests in the House of Commons? Which leader wore it best? Let the games begin!

Here are the major parties' official policy positions for Toronto and/or municipal affairs, and the number of Toronto seats held at dissolution (will try to update as stuff comes in):

Conservatives (9 seats):
  • <nothing found>
Greens (0 seats):
Liberals (7 seats):
  • <nothing found>
NDP (7 seats):
Rhino (2 White, 3 Indian):
And here are some useful links:

Seat projections:

Register to vote and check your voter registration:
Preparing for the electoral process:

Last edited:
You could be forgiven if you didn't know that Toronto currently has 8 Conservative MPs (if you count Scarborough East - Pickering). Outside of Finance Minister John Oliver I can't name a single one. Have they done anything for the city apart from hosting a community BBQ once a summer?

This will be an unusually fun election to watch in Toronto. I can't think of a time where there have been so many high profile races. Think Spadina-Fort York, University-Rosedale, Eglinton-Bathurst. This is also the first election in awhile where there could be a number of three way races in Toronto, particularly in Scarborough.

Last edited:
Not to overlap the threads too much, but it will be interesting to see if a potential Olympic bid will impact the election. Will the parties come out in support, opposition or deferment?

One thing it does mean is that they can't have a federal politician countersigning the 15 September letter of intent, which is not required but does start things off with a bit of a lurch.

You could be forgiven if you didn't know that Toronto currently has 8 Conservative MPs (if you count Scarborough East - Pickering). Outside of Finance Minister John Oliver I can't name a single one. Have they done anything for the city apart from hosting a community BBQ once a summer?

You mean Joe Oliver. John Oliver has a very funny show on HBO. I can also name Mark Adler, because I still lived in York Centre in in May 2011. He's awful. But apart from Adler, Oliver, and John Carmichael, I can't name another Conservative MP in Toronto from the top of my head, but I can name all the Liberal and NDP MPs.

The Willowdale MP is a Tory but he doesn't even live in the riding. When he was elected he was put up as a candidate because he used to live in the riding.all he does is parrot the major policy planks of the PM. He has done nothing for this very urban riding. The guy lives in Richmond Hill. I'll be glad to vote him out.

Don't forget Bernard Trottier (he who slew Iggy), or Ted "Asterisk" Opitz (he of the recount/annulment battle w/Borys W.)

Joe Oliver lives in Wychwood Park, which I am completely certain is not in my riding (Eglinton—Lawrence).

Joe Oliver lives in Wychwood Park, which I am completely certain is not in my riding (Eglinton—Lawrence).

That would be St. Paul's.

I don't care if a MP lives in a riding or a councillor in a ward, as long as that candidate is able to represent it well. Some ties are necessary (live nearby, work or own a business in the area you're representing, been a previous long-term resident, etc.), but I don't think residency in itself is essential.

That would be St. Paul's.

I don't care if a MP lives in a riding or a councillor in a ward, as long as that candidate is able to represent it well. Some ties are necessary (live nearby, work or own a business in the area you're representing, been a previous long-term resident, etc.), but I don't think residency in itself is essential.
There should be a law that if a candidate doesn't live in the riding, Donald Sutherland can't vote for you.

Is anyone here involved in any local campaigns? If so is what is the general consensus at the door or on the phones? Are people actually paying attention during the summer, 10 weeks before the election?

He was my MP for many years until I got married and moved 10 minutes away to another riding.

Back