I got all excited until I read that it was Tridel.

The last thing we need are a bunch of 300 Fronts lining our harbour.

Past experience is discouraging, but Tridel has at least a couple of decent projects lately (Form by AA on McCaul and SQ by Teeple at Alexandria Park come to mind). Still, I don't think it's an unreasonable impression that ODA is a bit beyond Tridel's capabilities.

I hope they do the design justice.

That was obvious. No, nothing to do with it being too good for Toronto. Just didn't make a whole lot of sense as a functional structure.
You may be right that it didn't make sense, but "obvious", really? Care to describe what was obviously wrong with the design?

Every project on the East Bayfronts goes through a bait and switch.

Some teaser renderings are released, everyone gets excited, then the real clunker is released and we go back to the holes whence we came from.

I laughed when I saw that stunning render and the first thing I thought was, "yeah, ok...we haven't reached the inevitable value engineering phase yet."

What seems more likely to me than a bait-and-switch is that Tridel asked a number of architects for proposals for the site, that ODA was one of the respondents, and that they published their proposal. I doubt that Tridel wanted them to publish their proposal; developers tend to normally only want to broadcast the winners of any competition, with the Absolute World one several years ago now having been the notable exception to that rule.

ODA may have won, they may not have.

What seems more likely to me than a bait-and-switch is that Tridel asked a number of architects for proposals for the site, that ODA was one of the respondents, and that they published their proposal. I doubt that Tridel wanted them to publish their proposal; developers tend to normally only want to broadcast the winners of any competition, with the Absolute World one several years ago now having been the notable exception to that rule.

ODA may have won, they may not have.

Yup - also recall the details for the DSAI proposal for the Waterfront Innovation Centre being released before the winner was announced.

AoD

There was also RAW who leaked the renders of their competition-losing design for Cityplace's Signature Towers. Turns out we were the losers though.

There was also RAW who leaked the renders of their competition-losing design for Cityplace's Signature Towers. Turns out we were the losers though.

We may not be in that case. The proposal is being reworked and a new application reflecting the changes will be submitted shortly. *fingers crossed it's an improvement*

Edit: Who am I kidding... nothing that will come out of this will beat that RAW design. Same as nothing is going to beat the ODA design in our minds now.

The ODA design reminded me of the Arquitechtonika (yes I know spelled horribly wrong, too lazy to check) design for the Donlands that appears to have been scrapped. There seems to be a pattern of firms releasing their unaccepted proposals when they are vastly superior to what the developers decided to go with. Presumably we will see the same here. Doubt ODA would have released against Tridel's wishes if ODA was the winner and it was just being workshopped.

Well, that's ok, as much as I wanted to live in that beauty, it's not as if I can actually afford a centrally-located waterfront home....not even the rent, these days.

Very nice indeed! "to good to be true!?" .... Although maybe it would compliment the curves of the aqua-'somethingorother' down the block.

Last edited:

Back