Wow! Art Shoppe a landmark?!? Pretty much has been selling mass producted styled furniture for designer prices. I'm not surprised they have succumbed.

DeBoers didn't just pack it up as they suggest. They have been seeing red for a number of years now. Same for Idomo.

DeBoers didn't just pack it up as they suggest. They have been seeing red for a number of years now. Same for Idomo.

I would agree with you. I remember visiting the DeBoers at College Park and quickly left after seeing the price tags. I could find the same product for much cheaper at other locations.

May 29
5774340745_1aa6c16546_b.jpg

What is just east of it on the south side
5774342533_c968fb09e8_b.jpg

5774350457_b8f49b4f5a_b.jpg

What next door on the north side
5774890158_51fe3df2e2_b.jpg

To the north
5774883358_d4ec4e68c7_b.jpg

As 70s modern goes, it feels more entropic than retro.

i like the design of this building ... too bad, so sad to see it go.
perhaps Freed will build something reminiscent, at least at the base with plenty of retail beyond the usual dry cleaner, quickie mart, subway/pizza shop, etc.

I don't think you have to worry about that, Freed's buildings are generally well designed and attract better retail. From memory I don't think many, or any, of them contain generic chains and dry cleaners.

First Capital Realty (Publically Traded Company which acquires and developments strictly Commercial Real Estate) purchased the DeBoers Site at 5051 Yonge St for 14.000.000$ in March 2010 -- Curious to see what proposal they will have with this site for it does have potential for high density....I'm assuming maybe retail/office and possible hotel.

The Art Shoppe site hasn't been registered yet for a new purchase--which means its hasn't closed yet or its been within 2 weeks of closing for it to show up. -- I'm in favor for something special for this site and Freed will have an interesting design here.

Dont get it, Freed comes into the picture here and certain people are sad that he will be demolishing a butt ugly building... meanwhile the sacred gods of Ryerson University go in, demolish anything they want on Yonge st. and vacinity and no one says boo.

I wouldn't label it "butt ugly"--there's clearly a 70s modern-minimal-eleganza design sensibility, like the missing link btw/Parkin's AGO and Holt Renfrew on Bloor...

I don't think you have to worry about that, Freed's buildings are generally well designed and attract better retail. From memory I don't think many, or any, of them contain generic chains and dry cleaners.

Right now, Freed's existing buildings house some restaurants and a night club (in 55 Stewart - Thompson Hotel). One has his real estate offices (75 Portland). None have retail.

Didn't want to start a new thread just yet, but new rumours from multiple sources on twitter that Freed, in addition to this Art Shoppe site, has also now purchased the Howard Johnson's Yorkville (on Avenue Road)......

Potential new development -- Art Shoppe site

I know it was "hinted at", but don't know if it has been definitely confirmed. Freed has closed the purchase of the Art Shoppe site on Yonge just south of Eglinton, and is apparently preparing to "go uptown"!

The site is larger than I would have thought: over 1 1/2 acres in total. Whatever goes there, will pretty quickly become an icon of this midtown nabe.

Travis, sorry I could not find this thread at the time of my earlier post. I was aware of previous discussion of this site, but had not been aware that you had definite knowledge of the sale having closed. (No intention to steal your thunder!)

I am continuing to be quite curious as to what would be built here, given particularly the size of the site. As mentioned, Freed has a good reputation for good design. This should turn out pretty well and I expect would become a highlight of this area.

Someone very close to CD Capital Partners informed me that they are partnered with Freed on this project. Principals of CD were executives in TriGranit Development Corporation -- for those of you familiar with Central/Eastern European Real Estate Developments.

Back