^I'm curious--what's behind the two tone tower in the park reclads?

I've seen so many 60s and 70s buildings across the GTA redone in this exact paint scheme. Never liked this look. A single tone or less contrast would work better IMHO.

Exciting to see the first of hopefully many new developments in the area. Hope they build taller in the future.

Per the render below, Emblem may be looking at purchasing the strip mall to the west..

There is a 30+ storey condo proposed for the purple square.https://urbantoronto.ca/forum/threads/2444-hurontario-street-cooksville-arta-architects-31s.31490/
1617584091558.png

1617584983087.png

1617584276494.png

Last edited:
^I'm curious--what's behind the two tone tower in the park reclads?

I've seen so many 60s and 70s buildings across the GTA redone in this exact paint scheme. Never liked this look. A single tone or less contrast would work better IMHO.
Often those upper floors in a different colour have actually been clad over: the grout between brick courses weathers more quickly higher up with the higher winds, so they deteriorate more quickly, and a number of buildings have simply had aluminum panelling slapped over those floors. Pretty snazzy, huh? (No.)

One of Starlight Investment's colour schemes. This one was recently repainted.

Old

New

It's better. Be better if they went with one colour

The Strip mall on the other side of the river is ugly. The oversized parking lot, ugly architecture, and the underutilised river is an eye sore. I hope we can soon see it demolished.

The Strip mall on the other side of the river is ugly. The oversized parking lot, ugly architecture, and the underutilised river is an eye sore. I hope we can soon see it demolished.

Should the Strip Mall site be redeveloped, there will, to a near-certainty, be a concession of land to the Credit Valley Conservation Authority allowing for greenspace and a trail along the west side of the creek.

1624377792834.png

Reading back a bit..........I looked at early iteration planning doc for this.................

Turns out there are species using this tiny sliver of green:

1624377859917.png

The species in question is this:

1624377926687.png

Specific credit on the image, and taken from: https://ebird.org/species/eawpew

Another function of the existing creek is flood conveyance.

Of note, the regulatory floodplain impacts a portion of both this development (mitigation is incorporated in the plan) and the strip plaza site as well:

1624378101292.png

I would imagine, with some topographical adjustments, that there is a very workable development here (potential).

Should the Strip Mall site be redeveloped, there will, to a near-certainty, be a concession of land to the Credit Valley Conservation Authority allowing for greenspace...
Wow. Thanks. Many homes are to be demolished this year on Sheppard Avenue for green space too. As of last year, the city has already purchased 11 properties and entered in agreement to purchase 4 more. The addition of Sheppard and Dundas creates a continuous flow of greenery around Cooksville Creek.
Sorry, my last comment was not well-thought out. lol i dont want to demolish a river

Wow. Thanks. Many homes are to be demolished this year on Sheppard Avenue for green space too. As of last year, the city has already purchased 11 properties and entered in agreement to purchase 4 more. The addition of Sheppard and Dundas creates a continuous flow of greenery around Cooksville Creek.
Sorry, my last comment was not well-thought out. lol i dont want to demolish a river

That's good to hear!

I hope when the site w/the Pay-Day Loan place and the Dollarama comes up, that the City or the CVCA buy a good chunk of it.

The creek is actually under the parking lot/drive on the west side of the site:

1624381398612.png

The parapet wall (guard rail) at the rear of the property is the location of the creek.

The white line in the aerial below indicates a passable minimum for exposing the creek (in my judgement, without doing a detailed dive).

1624381566510.png

That would leave enough room for a viable development on the balance of the site.

Alternatively, the whole site could really help create a contiguous valley corridor here.

That would vastly increase the value of the adjacent properties; which are certainly ripe for redevelopment.

It would also allow for the waiver of any on-site park requirements for all of those additional sites for a reasonable distance, and instead take cash-in-lieu to cover the City's costs on this more usable parcel.

Had this project on my list for a while and finally got around to it. Terrible location - pigeons EVERYWHERE - so the flight was extremely short.
DJI_0534.JPG

Oct 16
The city is buying up those lands as they are in the flood plain and want to deal with it better with the homes gone.

There is so much propose development sites within 2 blocks of Hurontario on both sides of it that one can make a long list which ones could be part of an site as well threads.

Where the CIBC is current located, that area around it is supposed to be a transit hub along with widening of Dundas for the BRT..
51597625683_8a70a4a1d8_b.jpg

51597406881_d2abc6ff20_b.jpg

51597406796_483cf2297b_b.jpg

51596592582_bfed30a0cb_b.jpg

51597406611_79cf6ddb49_b.jpg

51597406201_504347a80d_b.jpg

51596591662_a9f29f8a2b_b.jpg

Last edited:

Back