I don't think it's awful on that particular count, any more than I think the Scotia building at King + Bay is awful on that particular count. (Remember how retrograde/reactionary Scotia would have seemed to a Giedion-worshipping young architecture student c1950.)

Not that I love the base; more than I can take it or leave it. Now, if it were a template for the reworking of Maclean-Hunter's 80s-modern banality, *then* I'd be concerned. As it stands, the old/new and the new/old make for intriguing collision-course counterpoint...

I think they took their cue from the Addison car dealership a block up Bay but somehow mangled it in the process.

196 m / 643 ft

rocp3.jpg

rocp2-siteplan.jpg

I can't wait to see a large a detailed rendering. My only real concern at this point is the loss of space along Yonge. I feel very strongly that the corner should be anchored with something public..more place for the sidewalk artists.

My eyes must be deceiving me, but I swear that looks like an A/C vents in the rendering on top of each of the buildings.

Suicidal Gingerbread Man, I am sure they are vents. Even the much praised 18 Yorkville has them (and they are not that successful even in that building).

Not exactly impressive, in my opinion, but at least it's better than the existing surface parking lot.

Page three of the report:

"Subsequent to the submission of this application, the proponent has met with City Planning staff to discuss a potential revised concept based on a single tall tower, but to-date, the applicant has not submitted a formal revised proposal."

MrOttawa.

I think any of us can speculate at this point, based on that one line in the report.

Suicidal Gingerbread Man, I am sure they are vents. Even the much praised 18 Yorkville has them (and they are not that successful even in that building).

It seems a bit odd to incorporate the vents into the design so prominently. I guess that's better than pulling a Riviera, and tacking the A/C vents on after the fact, thus ruining the design.

Given the project's projected height, Yonge Street and downtown location this could have been a great opportunity for Canderel Stoneridge to have put this phase into a design competition for something really unique, bold and eye catching like The Absolute in Mississauga.
Just dreaming out loud.

Yeah, but then Canderel Stoneridge might suddenly be saddled by people expecting quality from them.

Back