...so after covering the red brick of the older building in grey cheapness, they build an additional tower in bargain grey cladding and townhouses in grey cinder block, the only thing they "improved" here was they added more living space. What little soul the original edifice had has now been all paved over. Thumbs way down for this one.

Good to finally see more density moving in on the Annex. This neighbourhood has been untouched and militantly anti housing for way too long. Let the long grind continue. Let the precedents grow and let this part of the city, exceptionally well served by transit, schools, parks and other infrastructure resources accommodate more residents. You don’t get a suburban life in the Downtown (yes the entire annex is in the Downtown Urban Growth Centre) when there is a housing supplycrisis. Happy to see this new tower view within the area. More please.

I've said this before, and I'll say it again. If architects and developers don't want to put in the effort to make a beautiful building, then for the love of god just do wrap-around balconies. No one wants to see sad, cheap, dark grey window wall. It's insane to me that people in the biz think it looks good. Is it just a case of groupthink?

10 or 20 years down the line, people are going to wonder what the heck kinda drugs 2010s and 2020s-era architects were on.

Good to finally see more density moving in on the Annex. This neighbourhood has been untouched and militantly anti housing for way too long. Let the long grind continue. Let the precedents grow and let this part of the city, exceptionally well served by transit, schools, parks and other infrastructure resources accommodate more residents. You don’t get a suburban life in the Downtown (yes the entire annex is in the Downtown Urban Growth Centre) when there is a housing supplycrisis. Happy to see this new tower view within the area. More please.

agreed. let's just hope future developments aren't bottom-of-the-barrel ugly messes like this one.

I've said this before, and I'll say it again. If architects and developers don't want to put in the effort to make a beautiful building, then for the love of god just do wrap-around balconies. No one wants to see sad, cheap, dark grey window wall. It's insane to me that people in the biz think it looks good. Is it just a case of groupthink?

10 or 20 years down the line, people are going to wonder what the heck kinda drugs 2010s and 2020s-era architects were on.

agreed. let's just hope future developments aren't bottom-of-the-barrel ugly messes like this one.
It is City Urban Design that pushes all these stupid breaks in the balconies. In pursuit of reducing shadow and “bulk” and maximizing “sky view”. It’s right in the tall building design guidelines.

What this actually generates is ugly, incoherent, expensive-to-construct buildings that have no actual difference in impact at the ground plane that but that will mar the skyline for half a century or more.

Some architects and developers have the backbone and professional integrity to reject crap like this. Others don’t and these are the results.

May 23, 2021

20210523_092220.jpg
20210523_092254.jpg
20210523_092331.jpg
20210523_092405.jpg
20210523_092408.jpg
20210523_092427.jpg
20210523_092454.jpg

I passed by this again yesterday. The townhouses on Davenport are some of the most horrendous looking buildings I've seen built in the last 10 years.

I've already expressed my opinion on the penal colony'esqe cinder block...........

But I have to say, taking this all in, as a finished project............I find it over-bearing, deeply-flawed, contextually off, and altogether aesthetically challenged.

What a complete waste of money, time and effort.

Honestly, I think this is too kind. Thus is just utter trash, through and through.

I think the sole redeeming feature is the greening in front of the northerly towns.

Honestly, I think this is too kind. Thus is just utter trash, through and through.

I think the sole redeeming feature is the greening in front of the northerly towns.

The townhomes along Davenport are particularly offensive. They ignored the opportunity to extend the retail strip along a busy main street and gave us trash architecture to boot. It reads like a big **** YOU to everyone passing by.

I'm more offended by the siding material on the townhouses. Don't really care about the cinder block bricks one way or the other.

Back