Up we go.

IMG_3159.JPG
IMG_3158.JPG
IMG_3157.JPG
IMG_3156.JPG
IMG_3155.JPG
IMG_3154.JPG

RE: these 2 storey retail strips on Yonge.

I realize structural and economic issues would likely nix this thought (not to mention eventual wrecking balls), but I would love to see a hodge podge of one and two storey residential/office additions on top of these streetscapes. A variety of glazings (lots of glass) framed/trimmed with materials like yellow, red, black pre-fab brick and wood.

Still human scale/gentle intensification, more eyes on the street and... in lieu of iffy podiums... a handsome foreground for taller stuff behind.

ba160d93-cba1-4726-852b-22cfa9951a20-jpeg.259592

My understanding with many of the buildings on the west side of Yonge, north of Sheppard, is that they lie directly on top of the tunnel boxes of the Yonge line, and so no foundations can be built on/around them. It's why, for example, that stretch of businesses along the west side of Yonge just north of Sheppard (where the Firkin is) can't be redeveloped despite everything else going on adjacent to it.

My understanding with many of the buildings on the west side of Yonge, north of Sheppard, is that they lie directly on top of the tunnel boxes of the Yonge line, and so no foundations can be built on/around them. It's why, for example, that stretch of businesses along the west side of Yonge just north of Sheppard (where the Firkin is) can't be redeveloped despite everything else going on adjacent to it.
I'm under the impression that the subway tunnels are directly under Yonge, and I'd assume that most of those two-storey commercial buildings predate the subway's arrival in the area.

You're probably right, and now that I think about it there have been several new condos built on the west side of Yonge replacing strips like these. That "Firkin block" though I believe is a unique case, as I *think* it's on top of the Sheppard-Yonge station box as I remember peering into the tunnels when the Sheppard line was built and that entire area was opened up to the elements. Same with the Green P car park behind which I suppose means I can drink at that Firkin for *another* 25 years...

Back