Well, is there any point is us coming to some kind of consensus and backing a particular name worthy of winning? I'm not suggesting my "O'Keefe Tower" necessarily, but perhaps one that we can all agree on? I know that would be difficult to accomplish in a forum, but we do have power in numbers, and the ability to ultimately decide who wins. We sort of have a veto in that respect. We just need to be organized. ALSO - You can vote once per day. I just found this out. If we could all back a particular entry and vote once per day, its ours for the taking.

By the way, I promised my brother half of my winnings should I win (because he is helping me spread the word), but I'm planning to donate $2,500 to Covenant House - down the street from me. Seems like a worthy cause. Or, we could create a new entry all together, and decide as a group what to do with the winnings. Maybe it goes towards website upgrades (which we do not seem to need), advertising for the website, or something else entirely. Any thoughts?

oops ... didn't realise I had to 'activate' the account on that website before my submission is formally received ~ :eek:

The Outpost
http://www.nameourcondo.com/entry/157

I submitted this name because this site seems like a pretty good lookout spot at the southeastern edge of the core ... like a watchtower

Urban Toronto Tower, that's lame, it's never going to win. UT should have put it's voting power behind a name that might have actually had a chance, and now it can.

And how exactly would we decide a name that might actually have a chance? Urban Toronto Tower may or may not be lame but it is number 3 right now. Thanks for those that have supported UT. And yes we are supporting all the members that have posted their names here.

http://www.nameourcondo.com/entry/117

And how exactly would we decide a name that might actually have a chance? Urban Toronto Tower may or may not be lame but it is number 3 right now.

Yes, but since you are likely only going to win an ipad, you aren't really offering a reason why we should support this name over other names which we actually think are good or which we have entered ourselves (voting for more than one thing is basically just voting for the name with the higher number of votes). If the name had a chance of becoming the actual condo's name, the money could be used for the betterment of all the members, ie upgrading the website, throwing a social, investing in hovercars, etc. As it is, helping one of the admins win an ipad is - no offence - kind of lame. It's like helping your boss get a bonus while you get diddly-squat.

Perhaps the admins could promise they'll sell the ipad for something the whole forum could enjoy. And perhaps, along with "Urban Toronto Tower" we can try to push a select few names from members who have a chance of winning the $5000 in hopes of adding to UrbanToronto's communal kitty. It's a dumb contest, but it's even dumber when a forum that should be smarter, and that is capable of having as big an impact as 4chan (at least on local Toronto stuff) basically degenerates into a "Me! Me! Me!" competition.

I see that someone has submitted Y.ES Tower.. Crap, I submitted "Yes! Condo" about 3 days ago and never received a confirmation. (Y)onge & (Es)planade. I have a feeling their submissions form doesn't accept exclamation marks though.

I think I've got the highest "serious" name, O'Keefe Condominiums. Oddly, I actually wanted to register "The O'Keefe" but the system wouldn't let me.

Between O'Keefe Condominums and O'Keefe Tower (he registered like a day after me) there's 302 votes for the concept, which puts it just a little bit behind the Urban Toronto Tower

Edit: I don't know so much about a communal Urban Toronto kitty, but I will say that if O'Keefe Condominiums wins the $5,000 I'll kick $1,000 to Sick Kids, so vote away.

Last edited:
I share your concern ...

But let's be honest - taking a look at most of the top 10 - this is basically a popularity / spamming contest. So given this, we might as well push UT Tower - which isn't terrible anyway :).

Ya, the top 10 are mostly horrible. I'd never vote for Urban Toronto Tower either. I think it's pretty bad haha.

I think if UT Tower wins an iPad, it should be given to someone on the forum in a random draw.

Last edited:
Ya, the top 10 are mostly horrible. I'd never vote for Urban Toronto Tower either. I think it's pretty bad haha.

I think if UT Tower wins an iPad, it should be given to someone on the forum in a random draw.

Or perhaps in a vote amongst UTers for the best name?

Entering the name Urban Toronto and then voting for it in huge numbers, is a slightly embarrassing. Why would any developer turn to this forum when they are only going to get juvenile responses like this.

Yeah, I don't understand why we are trying to be a professional media outlet re: urban issues, but then our mods get into cahoots (read: conflicts of interest) with developers and begin to talk real estate, but we leave our header/page design in its horrid current state* and then, when things couldn't be worse, we try getting a tower named "Urban Toronto Tower". This place is getting odd and tiring :(

*I post this criticism here because when I post in the designated thread about how we need a makeover, it is ignored.

Last edited:

Back