DSC

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
City:
Toronto
As this project seems to be starting to move forward this thread may be of interest to those who are interested!

See this Report at Executive Committee on 27 October: http://app.toronto.ca/tmmis/viewAgendaItemHistory.do?item=2021.EX27.12

"The Basin Media Hub is a development proposal being advanced by CreateTO on behalf of Toronto Port Lands Company (TPLC), for a purpose-built and state-of-the-art film, television, and digital media complex in the Film Studio District of the Port Lands. This development will significantly contribute to ongoing growth of Toronto’s screen-based industries and represent a major step forward in the revitalization of the Port Lands."

Site location - from the Term Sheet update:

1635344426573.png

AoD

Good old Basin Street. Hell of an underused site for years, glad to see it's going to change up. I guess that means the various ramshackle trailer-based dwellings along that stretch are soon going to be obliged to move. Great that the east end is not only retaining film and television production space, but is in fact intent on expanding. Great news, that - acts as a nice counterweight to all the industry projects going on in Mississauga and Hamilton.

The amount of studio space proposed in the GTA right now is nothing short of shocking.. I really wonder how much growth the industry is really experiencing and if all this space proposed is really needed. This one strikes me as one of the better ones as it builds on the existing ecosystem in the area, but those proposals in Ajax and Markham and Mississauga and whatnot, I'm not as sure about.

I think there's plenty of both demand and opportunity for more production space. The city is bursting at the seams as it is. I know of more than one individual living in places like Pickering and Oshawa who'd love to work in Ajax or Markham rather than drive into the core or as far west as Mississauga or Oakville. The thing is, TV and film drive a lot of ancillary business, too - that high tide lifting all boats.

Not saying we won't ever have a downturn again, 'cos it would be idiotic to expect that the gravy train won't ever derail.... but really, I think the demand is there. So many new people have joined the business over the last ten years and still there's problems crewing up shows with people who have even a modicum of experience. The industry is growing that fast. Satellite operations in North Bay, Parry Sound and Sudbury continue to blossom, as well. The GTA has come to a point where it's busy year-round, and that's a relatively new thing. The winters used to be dead... no longer. That said, we're heading into a quieter phase, with less productions still shooting or prepping to shoot... but come the early spring it will be gangbusters again. It's been that way for a decade at least.

In general though, the GTA has a solid rep for production, with plenty of depth and experience in the workforce. There's more steaming than ever, and that's definitely helping to drive the business to record lengths. But even if there were a definitive downturn, I expect a new facility like Basin Street would still handily survive. Toronto has achieved critical mass and momentum in this field.

The ancillary businesses point is key here - Most post facilities are located in the central city, so for stuff like sound, finishing, VFX, colour and animation, ensuring you can easily get your footage to these facilities is crucial. This is why Toronto studios will have an edge over any other ones on the fringes of the GTA. Shipping takes time, adds cost, and producers do not want any delays or problems in the pipeline. Even if you shoot in a studio in Markham or Ajax, that footage HAS to make its way back to Toronto to CO3, Technicolor or Deluxe to produce dailies in order to be viewable by the director.

I think there's plenty of both demand and opportunity for more production space. The city is bursting at the seams as it is. I know of more than one individual living in places like Pickering and Oshawa who'd love to work in Ajax or Markham rather than drive into the core or as far west as Mississauga or Oakville. The thing is, TV and film drive a lot of ancillary business, too - that high tide lifting all boats.

Not saying we won't ever have a downturn again, 'cos it would be idiotic to expect that the gravy train won't ever derail.... but really, I think the demand is there. So many new people have joined the business over the last ten years and still there's problems crewing up shows with people who have even a modicum of experience. The industry is growing that fast. Satellite operations in North Bay, Parry Sound and Sudbury continue to blossom, as well. The GTA has come to a point where it's busy year-round, and that's a relatively new thing. The winters used to be dead... no longer. That said, we're heading into a quieter phase, with less productions still shooting or prepping to shoot... but come the early spring it will be gangbusters again. It's been that way for a decade at least.

In general though, the GTA has a solid rep for production, with plenty of depth and experience in the workforce. There's more steaming than ever, and that's definitely helping to drive the business to record lengths. But even if there were a definitive downturn, I expect a new facility like Basin Street would still handily survive. Toronto has achieved critical mass and momentum in this field.
What was it that attracted the film industry Toronto, and more importantly, got them to stay? Thanks for sharing your insight btw!

Yeah, but it's not a big deal. They wouldn't be planning studios out that way if they didn't think they could accommodate routine logisitics of the business.

The other consideration is that most people in the industry do not live in the core - it's simply too expensive. People, especially those still starting out, just beginning their careers in the industry, still want to buy a home or a condo at the very least, and it remains more affordable to do that on the periphery of the GTA. I know of people who come in daily from places like Barrie, Uxbridge, Cobourg, Brantford... it's just the way it is.

What was it that attracted the film industry Toronto, and more importantly, got them to stay? Thanks for sharing your insight btw!
Good question! I honestly don't know, I've only been in the industry for roughly 25 years.... I know of people who started in the late 70s, early 80s. I think it was a very slow build-out, very incremental.

Oh yeah I have friends (mostly props / art department folks) who come in from all over. My point was mostly that those post facilities will never leave downtown Toronto - at the end of the day it doesn’t matter where something is shot in Ontario. The footage always ends up in Toronto.

Oh yeah I have friends (mostly props / art department folks) who come in from all over. My point was mostly that those post facilities will never leave downtown Toronto - at the end of the day it doesn’t matter where something is shot in Ontario. The footage always ends up in Toronto.
Yep, I'm an art department dude myself, specializing on the graphics side. One of my good friends has been a propsmaster many times over, now he's a buyer. But I also know tons of scenic painters and carps - my wife's a veteran scenic. This business has allowed many of us prosper, foster entire careers.

As someone not in the industry........my knowledge may have some gaps..........but I think the following is representative.

1) There was a base industry here from CBC and to a lesser degree private broadcasting dating, dating back decades. CBC was doing scripted Canadian Drama at least as far back as the 1960s; that provided some base level employment and skills that would at least partially overlap w/the film industry.

2) As early as the 1970s there was interest in developing some type of film industry here. In theory, a domestic one for making Canadian films, but there was always an understanding that luring American productions north would offer enhanced employment and skills development and critical mass. The first big tax-shelter programs for making films here date from the 70s.

Details on that first program can be found here: https://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/en/article/tax-shelter-films

3) As the 80s rolled on, Canadian content requirements for private TV began to rise, leading to more domestic production; the modern version of Canadian film tax credits also emerged both federally and in Ontario.

The Federal Tax Credit program started in 1995; and by the late 90s was helping drive U.S. producers northwards. Ontario would add its own credits on top of this.

You can see this primer from 1999 on the subject: https://www.mondaq.com/canada/corpo...ummary-of-available-canadian-film-tax-credits

4) The Canadian Film Centre was founded in Toronto in 1988 and helped accelerate local skills development

5) The Canadian dollar also plummeted in the 1990s making the cost of producing in Canada vastly lower than in the U.S. By 2002 the CAD was down to under 62 cents USD. All other things being equal, that's a 35%++ price advantage before factoring in tax credits.

6) Toronto, in particular, was considered a good stand in for U.S. cities in the north-east and mid-west, notably Chicago and NYC. Chicago did not have an evolved film industry of size; and while NYC did, the challenges and costs of shooting there made Toronto seem attractive by comparison.

7) The City of Toronto corporately has been very kind to the film industry here. Ranging from no permit fees for location shoots to bending over backwards to close roads for same; the industry found the City very cooperative, moreso than might be the case in other jurisdictions at one point.

8) A more recent factor has been increasing U.S. interest in diverse casting. Both the base level of talent of diverse background, but also the ease of the Canadian immigration/visa system has served to make us an attractive shooting locale.

9) Until recently.....hard though it may be to believe.......lower real estate costs were also an advantage. SoCal/LA was an expensive place more than 20 years ago, so was NYC. That advantage is evaporating quickly, nonetheless it was a factor in studio expansion.

10) Momentum. All of the above facilitated a slow, but accelerating build in the size of the industry here to the point where it's merely a fact of North American life that Toronto is regularly mentioned in the U.S. trades for the industry (Variety, Hollywood Reporter) etc. and regularly in the conversation for projects, alongside the other big Centres, L.A., NY and Vancouver.

11) Finally, honourable mention goes to TIFF. They have helped raise Toronto's industry profile, with producers and talent alike.

The City's sell to the industry can be found here:

A report from March of this year, in THR on the Canadian industry's growth:

A great, comprehensive answer, well done. As well, pay rates for Canadian technicians in union jobs like IATSE are significantly less in Canada compared to their American counterparts... in the end it's all about money, really; places like Toronto and Hollywood give good value for American productions, and it's American money which continues to drive the lion's share of business up here.

Back