I wonder how they will reconcile the (what looks like) public promenade with restricted access for the rest of the property.

AoD
Who knows. This render is very preliminary, I'd imagine. The devil is in the details. Commish is gonna be a very busy street though. I can foresee some traffic lights coming at the turn to Pinewood and/or the Basin Media Hub,

That's some cool stuff right there. Hope it all sails through. It's a large patch of land that's close to the core - ideal for film and television projects. Basin and Pinewood are important not least because nearby are plenty of nice places visiting directors, producers and talent can stay while in town. Those facilities, once fully built out, will help keep Toronto in the game at a time when an increasing amount of production is pushing out to Mississauga, Oakville, Brampton, Hamilton - and also North Bay, Parry Sound and Sudbury. I have a friend currently working on a series shooting in North Bay and she says there's several productions underway in that town. Also, there's the big studio project that will be built out in Pickering. Pretty astounding how large the industry has become in Ontario over the last twenty years.

From the above:

1656448178188.png

1656448339050.png

1656448413873.png

Apparently we're getting a toy version of our colourful bridges, LOL:

1656448495011.png

1656448538610.png

1656448586426.png

1656448627412.png

1656448657450.png

1656448702433.png

1656448729710.png

1656448766043.png

1656448804544.png

1656448851457.png

1656448884523.png

I don't know about anyone else...............but I'm a bit underwhelmed here..... I find the colour palette lacks warmth and fun w/o providing heritage or some other offsetting value.

Likewise the brick seems really bland.

Disagree. Bearing in mind it's only a pie-in-the-sky rendering, that olive/forest green bounces very nicely off of that reddish brick.

Disagree. Bearing in mind it's only a pie-in-the-sky rendering, that olive/forest green bounces very nicely off of that reddish brick.

Right, but there's only a minuscule amount of reddish brick shown, the balance reads as grey to me.

Sure... we'll see what shakes out. But I have to say, film and television production studios aren't exactly known for their beauty here in Canada. They tend to look pretty utilitarian and drably industrial. Just saying not to expect much in the way of aesthetics. I wish it were otherwise, but the standards are fairly low.

For my part, I'm still not sold on the extensive use of the green colour palate. Neither was the DRP last time out, I wonder how they felt about having their suggestion for a more diverse and industrial colour scheme being ignored.

Overall nothing here is bad, yet it leaves me feeling cold and uninspired. There are suggestions of comparing this to the Distillery district and it being a tourist destination. I certainly don't get that. I get a humdrum suburban studio with a single preserved heritage building, but given a colour-scheme (green) and better than average public realm that makes for a fine place for an employee to have lunch outdoors.

But there's nothing next-level.

I don't think they need to go all pastiche here. This is a working media/studio complex, but 55 Mercer shows how you can really play w/the features people love in early 20thC industrial architecture in a new build. More of that here, even selectively on just one of the buildings would have been good.

The public realm in combination with the buildings just doesn't exude a strong sense of place to me. There's no 'there' there.

It's ok, it's better than the status quo, but I would really like to see something a bit bolder with a bit more flavour.

Last edited:

Back