innsertnamehere

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
City:
Toronto
New 29 storey proposal in downtown Burlington. If approved, this would be the tallest in the city. It's right beside the recently (and extremely controversially) approved Nautique Residences, at 26 storeys.

Burlington's recent municipal election focused heavily on a perceived over-development of the downtown core, with the winning mayor running on a platform of bringing in an 8 storey height limit downtown and shifting growth closer to the three GO stations in the city. I suspect this one is going to have quite a fight ahead of it.

arch plans are here:

https://www.burlington.ca/en/servic...Ward_2/2069-Lakeshore/Architectural-Plans.pdf

Lake Shore Burlington.JPG

shifting growth closer to the three GO stations in the city. I suspect this one is going to have quite a fight ahead of it.
There are three GO stations in the city, however it should be noted that there are FOUR mobility hubs in the city, including in downtown Burlington.

There are three GO stations in the city, however it should be noted that there are FOUR mobility hubs in the city, including in downtown Burlington.
Oh I'm aware - just stating what the mayor ran on.

I think this sudden explosion of growth in downtown Burlington is great personally - it has the potential to create a great little urban part of density in an otherwise pretty suburban part of the 905. Old Burlington has some great bones to create an interesting urban environment - it just needs a bit more density to reach its potential.

Burlington is probably the most NIMBY, car-loving community in the GTAH (tied with Oakville i'd say). This project is most likely going to have a big fight on its hands.

Burlington is probably the most NIMBY, car-loving community in the GTAH (tied with Oakville i'd say). This project is most likely going to have a big fight on its hands.

Here in Hamilton it's not much better. Our planning department needs to change some of their policies around height and density... At least we don't have an openly NIMBY mayor, and some mildly pro-growth politicians. I wish this project luck, it's pretty nice looking to my eyes.

https://www.insidehalton.com/news-s...e-road-building-at-burlington-public-meeting/

Snowy weather failed to stop residents from giving a proposed 29-storey Lakeshore Road development a thumbs down during a Burlington public meeting on Tuesday, Jan. 29.

Around 100 people gathered within the Art Gallery of Burlington to listen to presentations about the proposed development and to make their voices heard.

Lakeshore (Burlington) Inc., is calling for official plan and zoning bylaw amendments to permit the construction of a 29-storey mixed use building at 2069-2079 Lakeshore Rd., and 383-385 Pearl St.

my favourite from the article:

Roland Tanner asked the Lakeshore (Burlington) Inc., representatives if they understood how disrespectful their proposal to build a 29-storey building in an area zoned for a 4-storey building seemed to many Burlington residents.

Of course. the guy clearly ignored the explanation of actual existing policy and how 4 storeys is an outdated number and not accurate of what the city actually wants.

my favourite from the article:

Of course. the guy clearly ignored the explanation of actual existing policy and how 4 storeys is an outdated number and not accurate of what the city actually wants.
I have trouble expecting lay persons to understand what a zoning by-law is, let alone the nuances of an outdated ZBL still in effect in relation to the OP, municipal visioning studies, and provincial policies.

off the ti
I have trouble expecting lay persons to understand what a zoning by-law is, let alone the nuances of an outdated ZBL still in effect in relation to the OP, municipal visioning studies, and provincial policies.
Yes, if you pull a random person off the street they aren't going to get it. But this guy just sat through a presentation explaining it.

Well, I hope he did. Some City Planners are notorious for not properly explaining this, even in Toronto. They state the zoning height limit, without explaining that it is absolutely not a standard that the development is expected to adhere to. I've been to many a public meeting where neighbours make the same kind of statement that I qouted based off a 4 storey zoning height limit for a site that is surrounded by 30 storey buildings.

Eau du soliel? Let’s take it and give it a twist!

also they must be expecting approvals from the OLT soon if they are launching sales.

...loosely translated I think it means "Handsome Sun". Although it should read Soliel Beau from my understanding of that.

Either way, it's an odd thing to name a building with, IMO. >.<

Back