Just a note to say…

1) We have a front page story up here.
2) There's a name for this project on the architectural plans, so the database file and thread have been renamed Berkeley House.
3) All of the renderings of this building show it 21 storeys tall, even though it's only 20* storeys tall. Weird, not sure I've ever seen that with a proposal before where the storey count is specifically off.

*We previously had this as 19 storeys, but the mechanical penthouse level is shared by the upper level of 4 penthouse units, so we've renumbered it as 20 storeys.

8'10" wide unit. Even for a shitkicker like Brad, that's low.

View attachment 356397
A smidge wider and this would honestly be a pretty sweet flexible studio unit. Looks like a nice separated den/wfh space, functional kitchen, and I like that the couch doesn't have to either face the kitchen, or be right in front of it like so many small units. Can have a bar style table or gate leg too for eating.... now renting from Lamb.. hard pass.

Something I noticed in the official zoning amendment application to the city:
a portion of the studio units are proposed to be located and designed so that they can be converted to provide an additional 18% two-bedroom units
I don't look at these applications very often. Is this something common? Would this be done by something like knocking out a wall so that two studio units to be made into one?
Surely the one studio itself can't be converted into a two bedroom unit. So how would this work?

Something I noticed in the official zoning amendment application to the city:

I don't look at these applications very often. Is this something common? Would this be done by something like knocking out a wall so that two studio units to be made into one?
Surely the one studio itself can't be converted into a two bedroom unit. So how would this work?
Yup, quite a number of proposals these days come with side-by-side studio apartments that can be reconfigured by removing a wall (and possibly more) to turn them into two-bedrooms. Developers can make the call on a floor-by-floor basis based on sales.

Yup, quite a number of proposals these days come with side-by-side studio apartments that can be reconfigured by removing a wall (and possibly more) to turn them into two-bedrooms. Developers can make the call on a floor-by-floor basis based on sales.

I'm curious, do those have to be turned into two bedrooms? Or can a buyer choose to merge two studios into a one bedroom?
I am specifically intrigued given the current political discussion about housing supply, is there a market either pre-construction or post-construction for adjacent studio units which are possible to be converted into one unit? Does anyone track how often this happens?

I'm curious, do those have to be turned into two bedrooms? Or can a buyer choose to merge two studios into a one bedroom?
I am specifically intrigued given the current political discussion about housing supply, is there a market either pre-construction or post-construction for adjacent studio units which are possible to be converted into one unit? Does anyone track how often this happens?
I imagine that you could contract for one bedroom when purchasing, since the developer has to do custom work there anyway.

If, however, an investor bought two side-by-side studios with the thought that they could sell them at the same time in the future as combinable into a one-or two bedroom, there would be more limits on what could be easily changed at that point, any changes at that stage would be much more expensive to carry out.

this has been resubmitted. a few minor revisions to unit count and parking but the biggest change is removal of nearly the entire podium for... "parkland"

the call of the wild awaits

Screen Shot 2023-03-27 at 1.22.48 AM.png

Screen Shot 2023-03-27 at 1.24.14 AM.png

Screen Shot 2023-03-27 at 1.24.53 AM.png

Lol either Brad doesn't seem to understand the Tall Building Guidelines in Toronto or he doesn't care to?

I don't see how the City approves 102 Berkely or 75 Ontario....given that the setbacks from his own "East55" project has restricted the block considerably.

Shows you how much I know...this block planning is going to make for some ridiculous units/views/lighting in particular the northern block of 49 Ontario and the 35 storey brick wall that is now 102 Berkley.

1688587965491.png

Back