Assertive is good, I agree. The real question is what the precast is going to look like in two years.

It will probably streak and stain - but that's a different problem for a different day. Precast gives it a bit more solidity and scatters the light more naturally than the Alubond stuff. Should have used self-cleaning concrete for the precast.

This almost reminds me of Fira at Santorini.

AoD

Just checked the project website out of curiosity... great looking building, but very pricey units (around $1,200 psf - is that normal for preconstruction now!?).

$1.395M to live in this north-facing interior-corner unit cave!! 😐

2AP+DT1.png

I'm not big on the back...but then again, the back faces onto a rail corridor. So I guess they made that less interesting and more economical.

I actually didn't mind a little relentlessness like this - hard to find such assertive mid-rise architecture here in the city. It's more often than not trying to tuck itself away, hide and desperately trying to pretend to be made out of different masses with uninspiring material and design choices.

AoD
Well, Mirvish Village is doing a pretty good job breaking itself up into smaller pieces while still being assertive...

$1.395m to look directly onto the CP North Toronto Sub...
We're laughing, but someone will probably snap it up in just a few short days.

We live in an era where people pay $500K+ for a digital house they'll never live in, why not pay $1.4 million to see the sweet sight of CP diesel trains chugging along everyday. I'm sure we'll be hearing cries of residents to shut down the line because they "never knew it was there", and the contents of the transport are "too dangerous" to be transported so close to residential homes.

Not here to hate just letting you all know. i really don't care less about condos i don't find them attractive. i just assume this is the place where i can notify the developers.
The developers would already be aware of 'Luxury Ghetto' tags on the billboards…

I want this bad boi to turn all scuzzy and weathered like the brutalist beast it is!! Give me streak marks!! Tridel could have clad this with exposed aggregate natural concrete precast and it would have looked like a mountain

I want this bad boi to turn all scuzzy and weathered like the brutalist beast it is!! Give me streak marks!! Tridel could have clad this with exposed aggregate natural concrete precast and it would have looked like a mountain

If you want streaks you should check out 1 St. Thomas - arguably a case where weathering had a disproportionate impact on the aesthetics of the project - from Google Streetview:

1616769950759.png

And this is one of the few projects that I know of that had cleaned their exteriors (from 2015 below):

1616770080967.png

Anyways, even self-cleaning concrete didn't save Meier's Chiesa di Dio Padre Misericordioso in Rome (again via Google Streetview):

1616770333867.png

AoD

Last edited:
Same with the podium of Spire.. I don't necessarily think this is bad, more so just in an in between stage right now, and I think if left to go for another 10 years it would actually be a nice patina. Maybe not on 1 st thomas, but generally I am pro letting precast weather naturally if it's just a plain concrete finish

Screen Shot 2021-03-26 at 11.22.05 AM.png

We're laughing, but someone will probably snap it up in just a few short days.

We live in an era where people pay $500K+ for a digital house they'll never live in, why not pay $1.4 million to see the sweet sight of CP diesel trains chugging along everyday. I'm sure we'll be hearing cries of residents to shut down the line because they "never knew it was there", and the contents of the transport are "too dangerous" to be transported so close to residential homes.

The Everything Bubble.

Back