Dec 4, 2021

20211204_162607.jpg
20211204_162508.jpg
20211204_162438.jpg
20211204_162352.jpg
20211204_100051.jpg
20211204_100110.jpg

Gold paneling going up in the SE corner. Having the main grade level design feature sit just above some crappy grey window wall is peak Tridel.

F179957A-6743-4F0E-B5A4-884FD9BB69AC.jpeg

Nice little thing to see: a new traffic island at the intersection of Howland and Dupont — I wish the City was more deliberate about making roadway safety improvements in concert with development activity.

B3D7C264-A52D-43C8-8B64-F395D23B25D9.jpeg

Nice little thing to see: a new traffic island at the intersection of Howland and Dupont — I wish the City was more deliberate about making roadway safety improvements in concert with development activity.

View attachment 373266

I agree w/your sentiment...........but I might be a contrarian on the details......

I'm not sure I buy that the island is a safety improvement.

If you wanted to improve the safety of Howland there......

You might think about narrowing the road instead.

It's ~14M wide north of Dupont, vs ~6M wide to the south.

I think a concrete argument could be made for slashing it to one lane each way and just 6M total.

But....in the spirit of not getting myself burned in effigy by the locals.......... How about just cutting it to one lane NB, no parking, and 2 lanes SB only at the intersection itself. (where a left-hand turn lane has value).

You could then cut the cross-section to ~9M, and create wider sidewalks or bike lanes.

For full cycle tracks, you could have to drop to 2 lanes each way.

I agree w/your sentiment...........but I might be a contrarian on the details......

I'm not sure I buy that the island is a safety improvement.

If you wanted to improve the safety of Howland there......

You might think about narrowing the road instead.

It's ~14M wide north of Dupont, vs ~6M wide to the south.

I think a concrete argument could be made for slashing it to one lane each way and just 6M total.

But....in the spirit of not getting myself burned in effigy by the locals.......... How about just cutting it to one lane NB, no parking, and 2 lanes SB only at the intersection itself. (where a left-hand turn lane has value).

You could then cut the cross-section to ~9M, and create wider sidewalks or bike lanes.

For full cycle tracks, you could have to drop to 2 lanes each way.

Yeah, don’t get me wrong, the above is the tiniest of baby steps, which is of course more than Transportation typically undertakes. Once the old guard retires, hopefully the type of interventions you’ve listed become more commonplace.

Back