Maybe. Many people seem to think (and I would agree with them) that this was just posturing in the lead up to the World Cup Bid announcements today. FIFA has never been a fan of MLS's schedule and I'm sure saying that they were looking into changing it was meant to appease FIFA before the vote. Russia made a similar move though they're going ahead with it.

Russia may go ahead with it because the vote went their way and they got the world cup in 2018. The USA lost their bid and Qatar will host in 2022.

Russia may go ahead with it because the vote went their way and they got the world cup in 2018. The USA lost their bid and Qatar will host in 2022.

yes I know. Russia already confirmed they were changing their schedule back in September. Part of it has to do with Champions League. The Russian billionaires want to start throwing their weight around and compete with the Man U's and Real Madrid's of Europe and a league through the summer didn't help.

After an amazing NHL Winter Classic today in Ann Arbor Michigan between the Leafs and Wings, there are talks about the 2017 Winter Classic being held here in Toronto at an expanded BMO Field. 2017 is the franchise's centennial so it would be fitting.

After an amazing NHL Winter Classic today in Ann Arbor Michigan between the Leafs and Wings, there are talks about the 2017 Winter Classic being held here in Toronto at an expanded BMO Field. 2017 is the franchise's centennial so it would be fitting.

That sounds awesome! I was just at Maple Leaf Square yesterday catching the end of the 3rd period through to the shootout and thinking how amazing it would be to host a future Winter Classic. Hope to hear more about it.

I get the feeling that this would be used more for relocating the Argos so the Blue Jays can have real grass than just for the Winter Classic.. I struggle to see spending $120 million on what is essentially a 1 time event being worth it.

I get the feeling that this would be used more for relocating the Argos so the Blue Jays can have real grass than just for the Winter Classic.. I struggle to see spending $120 million on what is essentially a 1 time event being worth it.

There were rumours floated the other day that MLSE is potentially interested in purchasing the Argos. If that's the case, spending $120 million to have an expanded BMO Field for both football and soccer would definitely make sense.

In that situation, really everybody is happy. The Argos get a CFL-sized stadium and stable ownership. TFC get an expanded stadium that's up to modern MLS standards (it's my understanding that what constitutes a "top of the line" stadium in the MLS has changed in recent years). The Leafs get a place to host an outdoor game. And the Blue Jays get to put in real grass and get more flexibility when it comes to summer game dates.

The possibility of the Argos moving into BMO has caused quite a stir amongst TFC supporters. I think MLSE will be careful not to alienate an already shaky fan base.

Moving back the stands to accommodate a CFL pitch will ruin the intimite atmosphere of BMO and having to switch back to artificial turf is a step in the wrong direction IMO. And there's the issue of having to find the fans to fill a 40,000 seat stadium or every TFC match. Even with 20,000, a half empty stadium will look depressing.

(Keep in mind this is coming from a biased TFC supporter and a soccer fanatic)

The possibility of the Argos moving into BMO has caused quite a stir amongst TFC supporters. I think MLSE will be careful not to alienate an already shaky fan base.

Moving back the stands to accommodate a CFL pitch will ruin the intimite atmosphere of BMO and having to switch back to artificial turf is a step in the wrong direction IMO. And there's the issue of having to find the fans to fill a 40,000 seat stadium or every TFC match. Even with 20,000, a half empty stadium will look depressing.

as always I advocate for the Argos to build a mirrored stadium right beside the TFC field maybe with a few more seats and astroturf. People are use to getting there now so it shouldn't be an issue to get to. I agree 40k fans are never going to show up at a CFL game in Toronto outside of the greycup. How many people showed up to the semi finals game at rogers centre?

BTW I will forever be sad that the Argos didn't make a deal with UofT and play at an expanded Varsity stadium. That would have been a great place to watch a game.

Ottawa is renovating Frank Clair to work well with both football and soccer, and the combo works well at BC Place already. As for ruining the atmosphere, BMO Field is 74 x 115 yards, whereas a CFL field is 65 x 150 yards, so it would only really be the end seating that would be affected. The main side stands would remain the same distance either way.

As for stadium size, I would think permanent seating for 25,000-30,000, expandable to 40,000-45,000 for special events, would be the way to go.

Yes a big shame

UnivToronto-Varsity01-615x461.jpg

I still cannot see this happening, for all of the reasons mentioned above. TFC will be hard pressed to fill a 30 000 to 35 000 seat stadium and the Argos would likely be cramped in a 25 000 to 30 000 seat stadium. TFC supporters have been very vocal about NOT allowing the Argos to move into BMO (note that unlike the NFL the CFL's schedule parallels much of the MLS schedule which would create scheduling conflicts which don't exist for the NE Revolution/NE Patriots the only teams I can think of that share a stadium). Also the Argos would rather be the main tenants or operator of any stadium they move to rather than being second fiddle.

Unfortunately it seems that too many pieces of the puzzle fall nicely into place in this plan that it seems all to likely to happen: The argos get an outdoor football stadium. TFC gets a much needed stadium renovation. The Blue Jays get natural grass in the dome (this could likely extend the life of Skydome by at least 10 -15 yrs before Rogers decides to tear it down). MLSE gets a venue for an outdoor winter classic. So I am skeptical, though I'll believe it when I see it.

Tim Liewiekie has been pretty aggressive since taking over MLSE, they have gotten the NBA All Star game (though not so much the work Tim did but his predecessors). He has spoken about an NFL franchise in Toronto. He has mentioned the NHL All Star Game and Draft, and now the Winter classic. All which seem to be culminating with the team's centennial in 2017.

I still cannot see this happening, for all of the reasons mentioned above. TFC will be hard pressed to fill a 30 000 to 35 000 seat stadium and the Argos would likely be cramped in a 25 000 to 30 000 seat stadium. TFC supporters have been very vocal about NOT allowing the Argos to move into BMO (note that unlike the NFL the CFL's schedule parallels much of the MLS schedule which would create scheduling conflicts which don't exist for the NE Revolution/NE Patriots the only teams I can think of that share a stadium).Also the Argos would rather be the main tenants or operator of any stadium they move to rather than being second fiddle.

Unfortunately it seems that too many pieces of the puzzle fall nicely into place in this plan that it seems all to likely to happen: The argos get an outdoor football stadium. TFC gets a much needed stadium renovation. The Blue Jays get natural grass in the dome (this could likely extend the life of Skydome by at least 10 -15 yrs before Rogers decides to tear it down). MLSE gets a venue for an outdoor winter classic. So I am skeptical, though I'll believe it when I see it.

Tim Liewiekie has been pretty aggressive since taking over MLSE, they have gotten the NBA All Star game (though not so much the work Tim did but his predecessors). He has spoken about an NFL franchise in Toronto. He has mentioned the NHL All Star Game and Draft, and now the Winter classic. All which seem to be culminating with the team's centennial in 2017.

The Whitecaps and BC Lions seem to be able to share BC place quite easily

Also, there is an NFL/MLS overlap with the New England teams and the Seattle teams that share a stadium.

I think Houston also share their stadium with a college football team (they are the only ones with natural turf though)

Last edited:

Back