The SkyDome (aka Rogers Centre) opened for business on June 3, 1989, making it over 26 years old. BMO Field opened on April 26, 2007, making it 8 years old. I'm getting old if I still think the SkyDome is still "new" for me.
The absolute best thing that the current Blue Jays are doing is introducing a whole new generation of fans to the concept that SkyDome/Rogers Centre is a good stadium....and all the old "it's so quiet/boring in that concrete bunker/monster" musings have gone quiet as people realize that fans create atmosphere....not stadiums.

The Rogers Centre is a great stadium when it's sold out. Then, the large crowds match the monumental architecture and the building comes to life. By contrast, the "old school" stadiums can have a great atmosphere even when they're half empty. With that said, the Rogers Centre is a remarkable stadium. Some subtle enhancements could give it more character and improve the experience even when the stadium isn't close to being sold out.

^yes, we agree...fans create atmosphere not stadiums.......having spent some time at Wrigley Field...I can assure you it has absolutely zero atmosphere when it is half empty.....it is a miserable place to be when the crowd is not there....just as most stadiums. I grew up on British soccer and I can also tell you that some of those old parks that look marvelously fun when full are depressing places to be when not.

They've started preliminary work on where the roof supports will be. Near section 127/227 they've put up hoarding and have cut out a sizeable imprint of where the supports will go.

I cannot find anything including a press release about the 28000 seats for regular CFL games at BMO Field.

Can someone point me to anything about seating capacity for the Argos?

^yes, we agree...fans create atmosphere not stadiums.......having spent some time at Wrigley Field...I can assure you it has absolutely zero atmosphere when it is half empty.....it is a miserable place to be when the crowd is not there....just as most stadiums. I grew up on British soccer and I can also tell you that some of those old parks that look marvelously fun when full are depressing places to be when not.

Very true. My experience at Wrigley mirrors some of yours. It's a great stadium when its full, and the crowd is loud... but when the Cubs aren't doing so well, the stadium itself doesn't save the experience. It's dreadful there too.

I cannot find anything including a press release about the 28000 seats for regular CFL games at BMO Field.

Can someone point me to anything about seating capacity for the Argos?

Because there was no press release. The number was mentioned by Dave Naylor on TSN radio.

Because there was no press release. The number was mentioned by Dave Naylor on TSN radio.

I'd be really surprised if it ended up being 28K for CFL games. Seems like it would be a waste of space since they'd probably average around 24K. Empty seats never look good on TV

I guess it'll probably just end up being the MLS-size 30K minus however many seats are in both end zones that would have to be taken out

I'd be really surprised if it ended up being 28K for CFL games. Seems like it would be a waste of space since they'd probably average around 24K. Empty seats never look good on TV

I guess it'll probably just end up being the MLS-size 30K minus however many seats are in both end zones that would have to be taken out

That is precisely what it is....but it is unclear how many seats that is....that last plan shown above where only the lower north end is affected would mean something around 2k seats were lost (most of the seating in the north end is pushed back and elevated above)...so about 28k...if the earlier plan of having telescoping seats in the south end is the one they go with then there would be more seating lost to get the end zones in.

4000 empty seats isn't that bad. Besides, with a vastly better stadium and (two thirds of) MLSE's marketing muscle behind them, I could see the Argos start to attract bigger crowds.

4000 empty seats isn't that bad. Besides, with a vastly better stadium and (two thirds of) MLSE's marketing muscle behind them, I could see the Argos start to attract bigger crowds.
They already need to sell +/- 50% more than they currently do just to get to +/-24k

They already need to sell +/- 50% more than they currently do just to get to +/-24k

They average about 18k per game, so it'd be about 33% more to get 24K.

Plus, as of 5 years ago they were averaging 24K. The current sub-20K figures are more of a historical blip than a real trend.

And the point made was a good one, 4K seats isn't that bad and you could definitely see increased support with MLSE's marketing muscle.

The Marlies, which I always thought to be a disaster, are actually one of the AHL's best draws, attendance-wise

They average about 18k per game, so it'd be about 33% more to get 24K.

Plus, as of 5 years ago they were averaging 24K. The current sub-20K figures are more of a historical blip than a real trend.

And the point made was a good one, 4K seats isn't that bad and you could definitely see increased support with MLSE's marketing muscle.

The Marlies, which I always thought to be a disaster, are actually one of the AHL's best draws, attendance-wise
A blip or a trend?

2012 - average Attendance - 23,690
2013 - 21,960
2014 - 17,791
2015 - 17,694 (3 games played at Rogers Centre...1 "home game" in Fort Mac not included and tonight in Ottawa)

So, yes a 36% increase gets them to 24k.....and perhaps the marketing power of Bell/Tananbaum gets them there....but not really sure who they market too.

Back