4.7K     0 

spaced

Member Bio
Reaction score
Thought you guys might enjoy this:
http://www.nfb.ca/film/toronto_boom_town

Toronto-boom-town_small.jpg

SYNOPSIS
This short documentary studies the contrast between the sedate Toronto of the turn of the century and the thriving, expanding metropolis of 1951. Aerial views give evidence of the conversion of the old Toronto into the new--the city with towering skyscrapers, teeming traffic arteries, vast industrial developments and far-reaching residential areas housing over a million people.

Toronto's mid-century progress is also Canada's, as manifested in the building of Canada's first subway, and in the bustle of the nation's greatest trading centre--the Toronto Stock Exchange.
7.jpg

Last edited:
Nice film, though too bad it wasn't in colour, as seeing all those Witts and PCCs in the maroon and cream would be a treat.

Something else to consider is that the boom depicted in the film lasted another 15 years or so, and by and large we are still living on the infrastructure built during that time. Also interesting to see early references to combining all the municipalities into the future Metro.

Indeed, nice film, kind of campy to my modern eyes. Looks like lots of other nice films that can take up our time too. :)

If you missed my other post in regent park, again, what a treat! Thank you so much.
I'm glad you liked it. I was surprised that it hadn't been posted on UT yet. There's a wealth of visual history in it.

The NFB is such an amazing and historic organization. It's too bad they don't have more of a street presence though. Installing the often broken video board over they're logo hasn't helped either:
moviemondays_nfb.jpg

(image from the toronotist)

They still keep pumping out the good stuff though. "What on Earth!" was one of my favorites from the last couple years:
3518795.medium160.jpg

http://www.nfb.ca/film/what_on_earth/
Not toronto-centric--but definitely fitting.

It's strange how the message seems to be very similar in 2011 as in 1951: Toronto is growing, and now it's a vibrant city, whereas just recently it was staid and boring. It's the same message that's heard every generation seems to say about architecture in Toronto. Outsiders get this idea that we perpetuate as well. I think it may be partly a myth that has simply become part of our culture, apparently supported by our growth. Yet it belittles our history and culture, by reducing its long-term value.

We need to start acknowledging that we were a significant place in the past century as well, and preserve and acknowledge that history, especially cultural history. Even in culturally conservative times, there had to have been people and establishments who were breaking the rules and innovating and who influenced others; that history is lost when it's only assumed that Toronto was a conservative place for all of history up to the near past.

It's strange how the message seems to be very similar in 2011 as in 1951: Toronto is growing, and now it's a vibrant city, whereas just recently it was staid and boring. It's the same message that's heard every generation seems to say about architecture in Toronto.

This is true in other areas as well. A trope in local food/lifestyle journalism these days is that we now have all these groovy restaurants and lounges and thank God those dark days of the Seventies and Eighties are behind us when Toronto was so uncool. The irony is that there was no end of self-congratulation 30 years ago about our vibrant food scene (i.e. The Courtyard Cafe, Noodles, Fentons, Cibo etc.) -- unlike the Fifties and Sixties, when "fine dining" meant roast beef at Ed's Warehouse.

This is true in other areas as well. A trope in local food/lifestyle journalism these days is that we now have all these groovy restaurants and lounges and thank God those dark days of the Seventies and Eighties are behind us when Toronto was so uncool. The irony is that there was no end of self-congratulation 30 years ago about our vibrant food scene (i.e. The Courtyard Cafe, Noodles, Fentons, Cibo etc.) -- unlike the Fifties and Sixties, when "fine dining" meant roast beef at Ed's Warehouse.

No, no, no! Fine dining in the 50's and 60's meant Julie's on Jarvis, La Chaumiere on Charles, Winston's on King and (the old stand-bys) the Royal York and King Edward......

No, no, no! Fine dining in the 50's and 60's meant Julie's on Jarvis, La Chaumiere on Charles, Winston's on King and (the old stand-bys) the Royal York and King Edward......

No doubt you're right, but my point is that it suited the smug foodie writers of the Eighties to pooh-pooh the tastes of the previous generation... and that pattern is repeating itself today.

I'm glad you liked it. I was surprised that it hadn't been posted on UT yet. There's a wealth of visual history in it.

The NFB is such an amazing and historic organization. It's too bad they don't have more of a street presence though. Installing the often broken video board over they're logo hasn't helped either:
moviemondays_nfb.jpg

(image from the toronotist)

They still keep pumping out the good stuff though. "What on Earth!" was one of my favorites from the last couple years:
3518795.medium160.jpg

http://www.nfb.ca/film/what_on_earth/
Not toronto-centric--but definitely fitting.
Thanks for this. I hope they are still screening this stuff for our kids. The NFB is really an underutilized thing. Must put on my list: check out more NFB.

Back