News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

I wish Bellwoods would take over this place! What other fantastic craft brewers would be ideal to take over this lovely facility? Maybe someone like Third Moon in order to get a foothold in Toronto. They're the absolute darlings of the craft beer scene in Ontario.
Speaking of Bellwoods, has there ever been any update on the Dupont location? There was tons of landlord drama which was why the Hafis location came to be, but the last interviews I remember stated the plan wasn't necessarily abandoned, but that was like 2018 or 2019.

EDIT: With the expansion into nextdoors at the Ossington location (for kitchen and dining, not brewing AFAIK), I don't have much of an expectation on Dupont happening soon if ever.

Another brewery that overextended itself and went bust is Abe Erb, whose first location was in Uptown Waterloo (and had decent, if not amazing offerings, and a good food menu), but expanded to Kitchener, Guelph, and Ayr (!). Then the pandemic hit.

The Abe Erb in Guelph was terrible. I think my beer was nearly 10 bucks and it was served in a tiny 12oz glass lol And it wasn't the best tasting beer, the food wasn't great either.

The Abe Erb owner was accused of fraud, beach of lease by the Guelph landlord last year

The Abe Erb in Guelph was terrible. I think my beer was nearly 10 bucks and it was served in a tiny 12oz glass lol And it wasn't the best tasting beer, the food wasn't great either.

The Abe Erb owner was accused of fraud, beach of lease by the Guelph landlord last year

Wow. The original Waterloo location was good - not great, but good, when I was there a few times between 2014 and 2018. But I was never there since their sudden expansion phase. Fixed Gear opened up there, a big step up from their smaller location a block west.

I wish Bellwoods would take over this place! What other fantastic craft brewers would be ideal to take over this lovely facility? Maybe someone like Third Moon in order to get a foothold in Toronto. They're the absolute darlings of the craft beer scene in Ontario.
Blood Brothers would be great here too, but it somehow doesn't feel their style either.

Speaking of Blood Brothers, they are now working with Beast Bodega (Tecumseth & King West) for a new collaboration menu at the Geary Ave tap room.

Seems like Cottage Springs may be partnering up with Ace Hill at the latter's location on Geary Ave (roughly halfway betweem Dufferin and Dovercourt):

20220505_143106.jpg
20220505_143132.jpg

Woodhouse Brewing is closing their brewpub at 303 Lansdowne (formerly Lot 30 Brewers/Lansdowne Brewery) due to merging with Junction Craft Brewing and will operate and sell out of the fantastic art deco facility on Symes Road where Junction Craft has been located for a number of years.

The spot at 303 Lansdowne being vacated will re-open as another small craft brewery (no word as to who yet), which gives me hope because I was very unhappy with how Woodhouse renovated (ie, ruined) the previously great space.

Some thoughts on a couple spots after an extended (mostly) beer tour this past weekend.

GLB Brewpub: Great space, loads of taps and to-go offerings including two nitro taps (Pompous Ass on nitro is excellent). Menu is small but varied and well executed; I'd heard great things about their Detroit-style pizza and it was indeed very good.

Avling: Beautiful space, menu and beers. Came away very impressed having only tried one or two of their beers before. The menu is very fresh, seasonal and locally focused right down to vegetables from their extensive rooftop garden. Their beers are high quality, Spinning Yarn was a definite standout. They had some nice cocktails and a wine list as well if you need to convince any less beer enthusiastic friends to join you.

Overall was very happy to finally get to these two spots, especially Avling which has been on my to-visit list for a while now.

I stumbled (ha!) upon Something In The Water Brewing yesterday evening in Liberty Village completely by chance. Must have opened very recently as it's in the base of that new condo tower behind the Brazen Head. Very cool space, but I was in a rush so I just grabbed a couple of beers from the fridge to go. They were very solid, particularly the keto IPA.

Bellwoods Brewery have opened their expanded brewpub on Ossington:

Looks like Godspeed Brewery on Coxwell just south of Gerrard East, are planning to expand outdoor patio space on the north side of their property:

242 COXWELL AVE
Ward 14: Toronto-Danforth

Addition of patio to the north side of the existing eating establishment

-------------

gspeed.JPG

Last edited:

Back