They really ran with the existing colour palette of st James town with the grey and grey / blue...

Though I hate that I can see this stinker from my living room window, I am excited for the new retail that will hopefully come at the base.

Today

IMG_2113.jpeg

IMG_2114.jpeg

Our ability to build grim depressing streets is truly shocking.

75% is asphalt, the other 25% concrete. Utilitarian metal lamp posts, overhead wiring, no landscaping to speak of, and every building is cheap and primitive. There's not one square inch on that shot that's attractive. The Selby and those 2 restored heritage houses are a blessing but this tower doesn't look like it will be another step forward. It's hard to imagine this stretch from Wellesley to Bloor ever being an attractive street. I walk roughly once/month along it and it's always a horrible experience.

It's not as terrible as you make it sound. Starting from Wellesley the retained stone wall and iron fencing from the hospital are attractive, and the trees in bloom are quite pretty. The City rec centre is a bit austere, but is hardly offensive. That park with the gravel isnt to my taste, but its pleasant in the summer. Lourdes has their little grotto and some interesting architecture. They actually removed the bridge opposite Lourdes and greatly opened up that area. The Freshco presents a much nicer face than the former No Frills, and that entirely redone retail frontage seems to be doing OK. There's greenspace on either side of the Shoppers, currently being revitalized. James Cooper has an attractive greenspace fronting Sherbourne. Selby is at least interesting to look at.

I'm not saying it's a great experience for anyone to seek out, but it's hardly the worst the city has to offer

Back