Solaris

Member Bio
Reaction score
A pretty significant project on Sheppard East n the works from the same developers that brought South Beach condos to Toronto, Amexon is looking to redevelop a portion of the complex which currently houses its corporate offices located at 1200-1220 Sheppard Avenue East, northeast of the Discovery @ Concord Park Place site.

From the development concept for this project named "Central Park", only 1 access will continue to be provided to the site off Old Leslie Street. The existing 4 and 8 storeys office buildings at 1210 and 1220 Sheppard Avenue East will be retained whereas the building at 1200 Sheppard and all surface parking will be eliminated.

The proposal:
  • 2x 27s towers joined by a 9s podium, located west of 1210 Sheppard Ave E
  • 2x 39s towers joined by a 8s podium. located along east property edge, south of 1210 Sheppard Ave E
  • 43 + 34s towers joined by a 8s podium, located along south property edge facing Old Leslie Street

More details from this Bayview Village Association newsletter:

1200, 1210 & 1220 Sheppard Ave. E.
(North side of Sheppard - just east of Leslie)
The application calls for redevelopment of this site. With plans to demolish 1200 Sheppard East and building six additional residential buildings rising from 27 stories to 43 stories on three 8-9 storey podium bases. The buildings at 1210 and 1220 Sheppard East will be maintained. The developer (Amexon) plans to redevelop the entire site with 2,098 condominium units with a density of 4.1 FSI.
The extra density will surely be transit supportive :)

From DCN today........http://dcnonl.com/cgi-bin/top10.pl?...26114ac9288f&projectid=9154347&region=ontario

APARTMENT BUILDINGS, OFFICES, RETAIL
Proj: 9154347-1 Metro Toronto Reg, ON
CONTEMPLATED
1200-1220 Sheppard Ave E, M2K 3C5
$150,000,000 est
Note: This project is very preliminary. Schedules for design, tender and construction are not known at this time. Further update fall 2012.
Project: proposed mixed-use development which will include two 27-storey residential buildings joined by a 9-storey podium; two 39-storey residential buildings joined by an 8-storey podium; a 43-storey and a 34-storey residential building joined by an 8-storey podium. The existing 4 and 8-storey office buildings will be retained.
Scope:...43 storeys; 6 structures; 2098 units
Development: New
Category:..Apartment bldgs; Commercial offices; Retail, wholesale services

haha it looks like DCN copied the project description directly from my post above ~ :rolleyes:

Well, they can now add that the project is designed by Core Atchitects.

Community is not supportive of this
There is already an overload of construction and development in the immediate area. And this redevelopment is more than double the allowed FSI for the site - concern that the plans propose using TRCA lands - Considering it's on top of a former garbage dump and lumber yard - that can't be good!

^Did you get the memo re: the Sheppard LRT? Needs more density to support it and the subway!

I'm willing to bet the "community" is very supportive of subways ;)

I'm willing to bet the "community" is very supportive of subways ;)

no kidding ... even with a subway station (Leslie) within 100m walking distance, nimby's still don't want intensification;
and afaik, there's no SFH nearby except over the train tracks ... just the commercial buildings and ravine nearby

Here's a coloured master plan:

CentralPark_MP.jpg

Community is not supportive of this
There is already an overload of construction and development in the immediate area. And this redevelopment is more than double the allowed FSI for the site - concern that the plans propose using TRCA lands - Considering it's on top of a former garbage dump and lumber yard - that can't be good!

i suggest we all be cautious of JCodd's propaganda words...

but i have a question for you, is the community supportive of whats happening on the canadian tire lands?

"The community" tends to never be more than 5 or 10 loud house-owners who show up to meetings and complain to their councillor and generally cause a ruckus about traffic/shadowed backyards/an influx of less wealthy people/whatever. Maybe they'll go door to door and get 100 petition signatures, but those same additional 90 "community" members are also people who are willing and/or waiting to sell their house to an eager developer.

This site is on an arterial road, with no residential areas immediately adjacent to it, at the intersection of a subway line and a GO line, in an area explicitly and officially targeted for massive redevelopment. The proposed site plan/massing may not be ideal and there's likely better iterations out there, but something of similar magnitude needs to be built here and in other such sites along Sheppard.

This is the site in question.

1200sheppard.jpg

I think the "community" is those that are living West of the tracks. One thing they can't complain about is noise as there's a railroad in their backyards.

I do like in the site plan the fountain that would be built, which would make a nice gateway to the community, especially since you need to drive upwards towards the proposal. The views from some of the units will be nice, as well you are backing on to a ravine. It kind of reminds me of the Aria development, with the ravine, just East of Leslie.

Back