drum118

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
City:
Toronto
Finally some long awaited action on one of the remaining major streetscape voids on Dundas east of Yonge. I remember reading recently that this lot is to be part of the St. Mike's master plan development.
It's the lot to the west that part of St Mike's Master plan

I thought there was a thread for this site already??

This will make the ESSO site next to go.

Oh really? Do tell.

The site is currently listed for sale by Cushman & Wakefield and is marketed as a "prime downtown high-rise residential redevelopment site."

1584063999013.png

I find it interesting that many of the recent new highrises (1-2 years back) in this area have almost no discernable setbacks from their podiums.

I.e. at the Dundas-Jarvis intersection, Pace condos (older project) has a podium with some setbacks, but the podiums on the Form and Dundas Sq. Gardens condos are basically non-existent. Even 202 Jarvis doesn't have any podium setbacks for its tower.

202-jarvis-main-tower-mass.jpg

Any reason why there's been a move towards these forms?

Last edited:
This is funny. I remember back in the day when Ryerson was proposing a tower at the south end of their site, and the merchandise loft peeps got their panties in a knot over it. At the time, the merchandise owners asked about Ryerson buying the Esso station land, and the response from Esso was that it was the highest performing station in the city, so good luck buying it!

Graywood purchased the site and is planning a 53-storey high-rise tower with approximately 570 residential units.

https://www.newswire.ca/news-releases/first-closing-of-graywood-fund-ix-880980930.html
This will soon be one of the very few gas stations in downtown and sooner or later there will be calls for some to be retained. The Esso @ Front & Sherbourne is a development site (33 Sherbourne), if/when this goes there will, I think, only be the one east of Yonge and west of the Don south of Queen - at Jarvis & Richmond

This will soon be one of the very few gas stations in downtown and sooner or later there will be calls for some to be retained. The Esso @ Front & Sherbourne is a development site (33 Sherbourne), if/when this goes there will, I think, only be the one east of Yonge and west of the Don south of Queen - at Jarvis & Richmond

Looking at the broader downtown, this is what Google says is left.

1603975344574.png

I note they omitted the Shell Stations on Spadina, and at Richmond/Parliament as well as the Esso in Cabbagetown so it may have missed some others as well.

But if we look at this list plus the 3 I noted, that would be 11 stations between the Lake and (roughly) Davenport and between Bathurst and the Don River.

Of these, we will lose at least the 2 you noted.

So that will drop 'greater downtown' to 9 stations. (subject to whichever ones I'm forgetting!)

Looking at the stations above; I took a quick gander as to which I think are ripest for redevelopment.

I looked at the land area of the station first (how big a site); I then considered whether there was strong potential for a land assembly, then whether separation distances or height limitations may impede value; and finally the exact siting in terms of desirability.

My overall take (no inside info) is that Jarvis/Richmond is target 1. It's over 20,000ft2, the adjacent properties to its east and north are short (no separation distance), and also not listed/designated structures (suitable for land assembly).

After that Richmond/Parliament has the next potential for size of land, plus likely permissible height; but it does have a large development proposal hemming it in on the north.

The site in Cabbagetown is surprisingly large, nothing to its south is designated or listed either. But I foresee issues w/getting higher than mid-rise in that location.

Wellesley/Jarvis has a heritage building to its north.

Both gas stations on Spadina are comparatively smaller lots and encumbered by heritage, and potential separation distance issues as well.

Back