• Thread starter Suicidal Gingerbread Man
  • Start date
This has 6 levels of underground from what I remember - a year until it’s above grade is probably optimistic.
In Japan, they often start going upwards at the same time as they are excavating. I watched as Toranomon Hills Business Tower was being built and they were installing windows on the 35th floor while dump trucks were coming out of the parking garage loaded with dirt.

In Japan, they often start going upwards at the same time as they are excavating. I watched as Toranomon Hills Business Tower was being built and they were installing windows on the 35th floor while dump trucks were coming out of the parking garage loaded with dirt.
Sounds crazy to go up before finishing the bottom in a country that's prone to earthquakes

Sounds crazy to go up before finishing the bottom in a country that's prone to earthquakes
They drive giant steel beams down into the ground (to bedrock?) and then attach the building’s steel frame to these anchor beams. As they excavate the basement floors, they install braces between the beams. The parking garage ramps and the subfloor are all metal welded to the braces. The excavator and dump trucks all stay on the metal ramps as they snake their way down. Other bonuses: allows for smaller dump trucks so no giant trucks on city streets and from the start of construction, no vehicle tire touches dirt.

For earthquakes, I think most of the dampening features are at the top so I worry about any tall building before it’s completed.

For earthquakes, I think most of the dampening features are at the top so I worry about any tall building before it’s completed.
Dampers can be and are installed during construction, although that's for bridges, but I'm sure it can also be done for buildings.

Dampers can be and are installed during construction, although that's for bridges, but I'm sure it can also be done for buildings.
Mass tuned dampers are included in pretty much any building over a certain height. They are not used just for earthquakes but also to reduce wind sway and mitigate resonance events in skyscrapers which can be incredibly dangerous.

Last edited:
Yes, I know what a TMD does. My point is that it can be installed *during* construction to mitigate construction specific vibration and wind issues.

What a difference a week makes. 168 little hours...

P1230870.jpg

Happy plants...

P1230871.jpg

P1230875.jpg

P1230876.jpg

P1230888.jpg

P1230889.jpg

P1230877.jpg

P1230878.jpg

P1230879.jpg

Staring into the growing abyss.

P1230882.jpg

P1230885.jpg

P1230891.jpg

The smoky pall around 5 PM...

P1230903.jpg

Attachments

• P1230883.jpg
    P1230883.jpg
    360.8 KB · Views: 121
Wow, does this tower ever make its neighbours look even more execrable by comparison. Pinnacle should be hanging its head in eternal shame for its quartet of uglies.

On another note: it's astonishing how fast the excavation is proceeding for Tower 2; at this torrid pace it might actually be finished before The One.

Wow, does this tower ever make its neighbours look even more execrable by comparison. Pinnacle should be hanging its head in eternal shame for its quartet of uglies.

On another note: it's astonishing how fast the excavation is proceeding for Tower 2; at this torrid pace it might actually be finished before The One.

I think it's a bit unfair to compare an office tower to a condo.

Back