• Thread starter Suicidal Gingerbread Man
  • Start date
Yup, this one. Not really relevant for this thread but I think it’s not a great logo because it can’t exist without the text. Maybe that will change with time but it’s too generic of a shape and I don’t think most people associate diamond with CIBC. Feels like they just hired the Commerzbank designer and made it red. Also happen to both have the word “commerce” in their name.

View attachment 359377
I imagine that in time, they'll transition to using the icon alone more often once it has more brand recognition as the CIBC logo. But for now, this is a big enough change that yeah, they need to keep the name next to the icon in basically all applications to develop brand recognition.

I believe the PATH connection on the east side will run to One Yonge, no? If so it’ll be happening sooner rather than later given that the building is currently under construction..

I believe the PATH connection on the east side will run to One Yonge, no? If so it’ll be happening sooner rather than later given that the building is currently under construction..
Not that soon. The connection first needs to pass through Phase 3 of One Yonge before it can get to Sky Tower, and that won't be under construction for quite a while. See here for a bit of discussion on this.

Corner sidewalk pretty well completed...

P1240773.jpg

P1240770.jpg

And then there were three...

P1240779.jpg

P1240780.jpg

P1240782.jpg

P1240784.jpg

That's correct. The sidewalks are never truly complete until some of it is ripped up and replaced with an asphalt patch.

Over/Under how many days do we want to put for the city coming along and doing some kind of utility cut around the Gardiner side of this building? I say 45 days sounds fair, no?
I see my earlier thesis of around over/under 45 days was bang on, I took the under on it. This city never ceases to amaze with the complete lack of coordination on utility works, it's actually embarrassingly awful.

I see my earlier thesis of around over/under 45 days was bang on, I took the under on it. This city never ceases to amaze with the complete lack of coordination on utility works, it's actually embarrassingly awful.
Not as bad as when I lived in Hong Kong at least. There was an apartment development getting built across the street from the one house we lived in and I kid you not they dug up and replaced the road 3 times in a span of a few months. Once for each utility.

That corner is probably the worst place in the city to stand. It is inhospitable to humans due to the traffic and Gardiner overhead.

Nowhere near as bad as Lake Shore and Parliament.

AoD
That's true. And there are lots of places in the suburbs that are even worse. I should have said in the downtown core, rather than in the whole city. But I was down there recently, and it really is a horrible place to be as a pedestrian.

Not as bad as when I lived in Hong Kong at least. There was an apartment development getting built across the street from the one house we lived in and I kid you not they dug up and replaced the road 3 times in a span of a few months. Once for each utility.
You would be surprised, I can think of a couple streets in Toronto that have been through almost similar kinds of treatment (Dundas St West and Kipling Ave to name a few this year).

This city never ceases to amaze with the complete lack of coordination on utility works, it's actually embarrassingly awful.
I have worked with the City on several streetscaping projects and, though they are certainly not 100% blameless, the City has actually got VERY little power over the utility companies and it is usually them (in particularly Toronto Hydro) who fail to meet deadlines or suddenly find that a new street must be dug up 'urgently'. Part of the problem is certainly that at least hydro and gas are regulated industries and they need to get regulator approval to raise $$ to actually do work - sometimes this is not granted so, even if they WANT to upgrade infrastructure, they have no $$ to do it. In some cities, Montreal being a local example, the CITY owns all or most of the conduits but, having lived there, I can attest that this is not a panacea. On my street in Montreal Hydro Quebec wanted to underground the hydro wires and residents were advised to move the electric entry to prepare but THEY could then not persuade the City to spend the $$ to install new conduits when they were rebuilding the street. More than 20 years later the wires are still not underground.

Back