• Thread starter Suicidal Gingerbread Man
  • Start date
I don't miss the gossip and politics, but I do miss going for coffee and lunch with my colleagues, just going over to someone's desk to solve a problem instead of setting up a Webex call, running into people in the lobby that you haven't seen in a while, spontaneously arranging to grab a beer after work with a friend who works nearby, etc. etc. But it will all come back.

For me it's the exact opposite!

Same here... I prefer to have the extra two-three hours of time in a work day that I spend commuting (via bicycle or via GO Train)... I get more sleep in a day, actually get more things done work-wise as there are less distractions from meetings and stuff. I still ride the bike to workout (plus lift weights as I have more time to spare) but instead of commuting using arterial roads it is just riding around neighborhood boulevards which is far safer. We are going back doing hybrid work starting next year... two days downtown and three wfh so we'll see how that works out.

I don't miss the gossip and politics, but I do miss going for coffee and lunch with my colleagues, just going over to someone's desk to solve a problem instead of setting up a Webex call, running into people in the lobby that you haven't seen in a while, spontaneously arranging to grab a beer after work with a friend who works nearby, etc. etc. But it will all come back.
My coworkers and I have been maintaining after work beers and socials throughout the pandemic. We started off with zoom meetings, but as things opened up we started shifting to in person. No need for a return to the office to make this happen.

I don't miss people coming to my desk and disrupting my workflow, so not having that anymore is a big plus in my books. lol. That said, I have invited some of my favourite co-workers to work out of my place a few times and it's been great! Im naturally a very closed and introverted person, so this whole experience has been perfect for me.

I'm fairly quiet and introverted too, which is why it's very helpful for me to be downtown working close to my friends and colleagues, so we can do things spontaneously. I'm bad at being proactive about being social.

That said, I live within walking distance of my office, so there's no issue with a commute.

I understand many people are social and that outings with coworkers are a normal thing.

BUT. As an introvert and someone raised to believe in a complete separation of church and state personal and professional, I can't fathom why one would want to spend social hours with coworkers.

Usually you can't discuss anything meaningful or controversial because you don't know the person well enough, don't want to get in trouble with HR, etc. You can't get drunk and sh*t talk for the same reason.

These people don't have your back and you don't have theirs, because they're not close friends or family, like the toxic HR types like to pretend.

Just another drain on my personal time already strained with unnecessary commuting and time spent at the office.

Was in the office today and had lunch with a friend at King Taps (planned spontaneously this morning since we were both in the office!). It was packed inside, but somehow even though it is 10 degrees outside and the patio is heated, we were the only people out there. But life is coming back. The PATH felt livelier too.

Jan 2022. Back to work in the office. Reality is going to be hard for some next year. We will be in a hybrid mode for now meaning part in and part out of the office. I have been back since July last year so nothing new for me.

I understand many people are social and that outings with coworkers are a normal thing.

BUT. As an introvert and someone raised to believe in a complete separation of church and state personal and professional, I can't fathom why one would want to spend social hours with coworkers.

Usually you can't discuss anything meaningful or controversial because you don't know the person well enough, don't want to get in trouble with HR, etc. You can't get drunk and sh*t talk for the same reason.

These people don't have your back and you don't have theirs, because they're not close friends or family, like the toxic HR types like to pretend.

Just another drain on my personal time already strained with unnecessary commuting and time spent at the office.
I'm with you on this one. Granted I'm in a part technical/office role, so I can avoid office politics more easily, but there are few co-workers I have any interest in spending time with outside of work. I'm introverted as well, so when I was working a hybrid WFH role I was quite happy. Of course everyone is different, though I'm sure most of us can agree getting that commuting time back was nice.

With regards to returning, it is interesting how different companies are approaching it; a friend of mine works for a large company in one of the Yonge/Bloor towers and they have no timeline for return. They are quite content to keep up a WFH model indefinitely, I believe last the employees heard it was spring 2022 but it would still be a hybrid model, possibly indefinitely. I suppose some companies are eyeing the potential to save on rent/real estate costs.

Maybe time to get this thread back on track? WFH vs. Not WFH probably deserves its own thread!
I have created the thread:

20211121_074307.jpg

taken Nov 21 2021

Back