• Thread starter Suicidal Gingerbread Man
  • Start date
An Encroachment Agreement will come before the next meeting of TEYCC to allow a pedestrian bridge (PATH) to connect CIBC Square to the condominium at 1 Esplanade and the east side of Yonge.

Render:

1652450955671.png

Is this part of the elevated PATH extension to the new Pinnacle development and the Eastward on waterfront? Seems kind of random to connect CIBC Square to a condo building unless it’s for something else.

An Encroachment Agreement will come before the next meeting of TEYCC to allow a pedestrian bridge (PATH) to connect CIBC Square to the condominium at 1 Esplanade and the east side of Yonge.

Render:

View attachment 400057

Is this part of the elevated PATH extension to the new Pinnacle development and the Eastward on waterfront? Seems kind of random to connect CIBC Square to a condo building unless it’s for something else.

You made me look! LOL

So first, I looked in the Encroachment Agreement to which I linked.........but it wasn't really clear on the point.

However, while I was doing that I did find the render for the Bay Street bridge from Union Station to CIBC Square. So let me start there:

1652548556036.png

So then I used my Google-fu to find details of the PATH system Masterplan.......... and lo' and behold I came up with a Front Page story UT ran some years back......which highlights this exact spot. (from 2011)

Text:

1652548506749.png

Map:
1652548671930.png

Link:

Window shades are spoiling the look.
Agreed. I’m no expert but why don’t a lot of these buildings not have black blinds instead of the white ones that stick out like a sore thumb. Could be white on the inside but the external facing side should be black or a dark blue to blend in? Might be ugly or not practical but the current white is suboptimal.

Agreed. I’m no expert but why don’t a lot of these buildings not have black blinds instead of the white ones that stick out like a sore thumb. Could be white on the inside but the external facing side should be black or a dark blue to blend in? Might be ugly or not practical but the current white is suboptimal.
Would black attract more heat and heat the building up too much in the summer? Not a big deal in isolation but over the entire facade, could that be the issue?

I am not so sure, but the white bits seems to more or less partitions inside inside the building with the sun reflected back on it. As well it does appear they are mostly using darker shaded blinds instead for the most part...

...but you have to click on the respective pic to really see that, as it opens to a larger/higher res showing of it.

Just three photos here, and not of the buildings, current or in progress.......

But rather, the trees.

Unfortunate news in respect of the phase 1 trees on the Bay Street flank.

The super expensive conifer...........

DSC07583.JPG

Is in deep trouble. While it may yet recover.............die-back of over 50% is pretty grim for a prognosis.

Interestingly, the smaller trees of the same species are doing ok.

So this may be an issue of lack of urban tolerance to the conditions; but it may also be the tree absorbing those conditions having likely had its roots cut way back in order to transplant it.

While it isn't the species I would have chosen for this location, and I noted the risk at the time; I might consider (were it my choice), getting a smaller one, roots in tact as a replacement.

Speaking of trees in trouble, you've heard me harp before that Birch Trees are not appropriate to tough urban locations.............

DSC07585.JPG

I think they're almost all goners. Not surprising.

By contrast..........look at these:

DSC07584.JPG

Correct species choice matters.

Back