• Thread starter Suicidal Gingerbread Man
  • Start date
Just three photos here, and not of the buildings, current or in progress.......

But rather, the trees.

Unfortunate news in respect of the phase 1 trees on the Bay Street flank.

The super expensive conifer...........

View attachment 402678

Is in deep trouble. While it may yet recover.............die-back of over 50% is pretty grim for a prognosis.

Interestingly, the smaller trees of the same species are doing ok.

So this may be an issue of lack of urban tolerance to the conditions; but it may also be the tree absorbing those conditions having likely had its roots cut way back in order to transplant it.

While it isn't the species I would have chosen for this location, and I noted the risk at the time; I might consider (were it my choice), getting a smaller one, roots in tact as a replacement.

Speaking of trees in trouble, you've heard me harp before that Birch Trees are not appropriate to tough urban locations.............

View attachment 402676

I think they're almost all goners. Not surprising.

By contrast..........look at these:

View attachment 402677

Correct species choice matters.
Tree Number 1 / Photo 1 is a Dawn Redwood? Of considerable size when transplanted?

Tree Number 1 / Photo 1 is a Dawn Redwood? Of considerable size when transplanted?

Yes, and Yes.

The tree was ~30-35ft tall by my estimate when transplanted.

In the original landscape plan, this was to be a White Pine 45ft tall; which much as I love those, seemed a poorly thought out choice.

In terms of urban-tolerance and salt tolerance, White Spruce would have been the conifer of choice here if that was what one wanted.

Though urban tolerant deciduous species such as Silver Maple might have been better still.

This is @wmedia's photo of the tree right after transplant:

1653700058930.png

To their credit, this was done in late April, the right time of year to transplant conifers especially.

But look at that height, and then consider the spread zone for any roots and what had to have been cut.

Note in this photo the absence of any surface roots.

Now compare w/this caption and photo:

1653701139932.png

From: https://joanneeddy.com/2016/06/29/intertwining-roots-a-lesson-on-community/

I would expect roots here that at least went the entire length of the container, and probably more.

Some cutting is absolutely a part of the transplant process; but here, putting the tree in very challenging conditions...........

It's a question mark.

I'm also wondering how damp they are keeping the soil. I didn't check. Dawn Redwoods prefer a very moist soil.

Last edited:
View attachment 403779

This building is such a standout it easily competes with our classic bank buildings. It ‘deserved’ to be taller if you ask me.
It certainly is a 'standout building' but I am not sure buildings 'deserve' anything. The best buildings fit into their local environment and even make it better - not sure that by being taller would make it fit in any better or more beautiful. I think it, and its new twin, fit in very well as they are and certainly raise the standard of architecture and construction in this area.

It certainly is a 'standout building' but I am not sure buildings 'deserve' anything. The best buildings fit into their local environment and even make it better - not sure that by being taller would make it fit in any better or more beautiful. I think it, and its new twin, fit in very well as they are and certainly raise the standard of architecture and construction in this area.
Definitely agree with what you’re saying and I couldn’t quite articulate it, hence the quote around deserve.

I more so meant from a skyline perspective I’d like to see this beauty from more angles for longer and height would have helped with that.

Definitely agree with what you’re saying and I couldn’t quite articulate it, hence the quote around deserve.

I more so meant from a skyline perspective I’d like to see this beauty from more angles for longer and height would have helped with that.
Yes, one could make the CIBC Twins more visible if some of the less 'deserving' buildings that block views of it/them were demolished too :->

View attachment 403779

This building is such a standout it easily competes with our classic bank buildings. It ‘deserved’ to be taller if you ask me.
The second tower (which is taller than the first, if only slightly) will nicely fill the gap between L Tower and Brookfield Place, enhancing the skyline from the above perspective.

A different perspective - from today, June 1st:

View attachment 404212
View attachment 404213

Great pic!

But you know what I picked out right away, don't you?

Look at the trees in the gravel section.

Two of those trees are dead or very, very close, and a third.......is alive, but looking a bit rough. The trees in that particular space (three out of four) are not happy!

Back