• Thread starter Suicidal Gingerbread Man
  • Start date
Construction season for traffic continues on Yonge St. It’s hard to believe there was only a stop sign at this Yonge/Esplanade intersection.
Soon, one day there will be a bridge there!

From an emailed CIBC Square Construction Notice (Or portion there of)

The structural preparation of the Yonge Street viaduct. The existing viaduct will be modified to provide a future publicly accessible PATH bridge connection from the CIBC SQUARE complex across Yonge Street for the community, visitors and office employees.

This initial preparation work will include:

Removing the South median curb on Yonge Street
Removing overburden – like soils and concrete materials – from the upper portion of the existing Yonge Street viaduct
Installing micro pile supports to the existing viaduct within the current centre arches
This work is scheduled to begin on Monday, June 13th and continue for approximately eight weeks until August 15th. Work will take place weekdays from 7 p.m. to 11 p.m., and between 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. on Saturdays, as approved by the City of Toronto. All quieter work related to de-mobilization will take place after 10 p.m.

During work hours, Yonge Street will be reduced to a singular shared lane for vehicle and cyclist traffic Northbound and Southbound respectively under the Yonge Street Viaduct from approximately Lakeshore to the Esplanade. Pedestrian traffic will be diverted to the east side of Yonge Street in the latter stages of this work. Please note that the bicycle lane from Front St. to Lakeshore Blvd. is estimated to be closed between June 18th to June 25th.

A couple of 'park' views. The (very pleasant) security guard had no problems with photography and told me that the Food Court (at the park level) will open in 2 weeks.

CIBC.jpg
Bay.jpg

A couple of 'park' views. The (very pleasant) security guard had no problems with photography and told me that the Food Court (at the park level) will open in 2 weeks.

Zero chance it opens in two weeks. Most likely autumn.

Wait...there's a food court here!?

More of a food hall.

I'm surprised the park doesn't have more visitors. I guess like a lot of financial district plazas (TD Centre plaza, the square behind Commerce Court with the elephant sculpture), it's hidden and not well-signposted. Plus, we're not back to pre-pandemic occupancy yet. For those who want to check it out, you can take the external staircase (burn off those calories) or step into the lobby and ride an elevator on the north side of the building (not the ones behind the barriers) to the 4th floor. There's also an escalator in the lobby, which I believe will take you to the PATH bridge connecting Scotiabank Centre to Union Bus Terminal (level 2) and more escalators eventually taking you to the 4th floor, although the escalator connecting the 3rd to 4th floor was still blocked off as of yesterday.

Back