• Thread starter Suicidal Gingerbread Man
  • Start date
With all the square footage of this development, the four stories added on to the Dominion building seems pretty unnecessary. Hope that one element disappears as this comes closer to happening.

I wonder if this is a case of an architect pushing further than they know they'd get in order to scale back to secure other compromises (like being able to alter the back of the building). Otherwise, really like it!

With all the square footage of this development, the four stories added on to the Dominion building seems pretty unnecessary. Hope that one element disappears as this comes closer to happening.

I wonder if this is a case of an architect pushing further than they know they'd get in order to scale back to secure other compromises (like being able to alter the back of the building). Otherwise, really like it!

Not quite four stories - you have that 20-30s tower at the eastern end of the building as well. Interesting that there was a letter dating Dec 2012 from the lawyers representing IP to the City/Planning Growth Management Committee:

http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2013/pg/comm/communicationfile-34491.pdf

AoD

Excellent news to wake up to!!

I wish we had some contacts in the commercial real estate field ; - ) ... there are now 3 proposals (though at varying degree's of readiness) entering the "attract a tenant" stage ... clearly we won't see all these go up together at the same time, I just don't think there's the demand.

But with all the TD news, you'd hope it'll give 1 of them the jump start - any bets on (or inside knowledge) on what that may be ? : - )

I think Union tower may be the most attractive to TD (I say this because I think 45 Bay will probably still take at least 6 months of planning), but unfortunately Union tower is the one I least look forward too : ) ... not really replacing a parking lot and won't have as dramatic as an impact.

Anyway I hope someone sheds light soon !

I've never been so happy to lose a bet. Nice job maxcity!

Was not expecting this when logging into UT this morning. :D

Insertnamehere, any chance for a front facing render of the skyline or an aerial from the islands of your 3d diagram? Looks great!

Also, why are the mechanical penthouse sections sky blue in colour in the Ivanhoe renders? Why not black or navy blue or even orange? Sky blue mechanical floors are hideous, even the Maple Leaf Square towers would go from eyesore to respectable just by changing the colour of these upper floors to another colour like black or orange.

Also, why are the mechanical penthouse sections sky blue in colour in the Ivanhoe renders? Why not black or navy blue or even orange? Sky blue mechanical floors are hideous, even the Maple Leaf Square towers would go from eyesore to respectable just by changing the colour of these upper floors to another colour like black or orange.
Dear god ... if you seriously think renders at this stage of a project are more than fiction you may be in for a bit of a shock. Time to worry about colours when we see an actual application (it's now only a zoning review).

Last edited:
Its a rezoning application isn't it? That means a preliminary report, etc. Unlike condos the city tends to be happy about approving their rezoning for whatever is proposed as well. It may get simplified a bit for cost measures, but this is moving to the same point that 156 front and the Union Centre are.

Dear god ... if you seriously think renders at this stage of a project are more than fiction you may be ion for a bit of a shock. Time to worry about colours when we see an actual application (it's now only a zoning review).

My main gripe is with the colours of mechanical floors on come towers throughout this city, just dishing out the colour variation idea since many of you here are in the architectural and development community. Hopefully it inspires some to deviate from the norm on future projects.

Its a rezoning application isn't it? That means a preliminary report, etc. Unlike condos the city tends to be happy about approving their rezoning for whatever is proposed as well. It may get simplified a bit for cost measures, but this is moving to the same point that 156 front and the Union Centre are.

There is a far more important heritage component to this project than there is with 156 Front or the Union Centre. It will be interesting to see the City's response to this. I expect it will be highly nuanced in regard to the Dominion Public Building. Of course, and as I have already stated in the front page article, I am very curious as to whether or not the renderings we have seen so far represent the current thinking for this project, or if maybe the project has evolved since the time they were created. The two high-resolution renderings are not prominent on Hines's website, and there has been no press release, so we cannot consider what we are looking at yet as representative of the application at the City. Everything here should still be considered quite preliminary.

Recall when the early renderings for BA Center came out, and it was a completely different design then we eventually got (though accordingly because the tenant wanted more conventional space), the key being as IC42 implied, only time will tell.

Either way I have a feeling this project is still far in the future.

I've done a basic pixel count, and come up with a total height (excluding any perspective-caused length distortion) of 296m for the north tower, 231m for the south tower, and 166m for the east tower...

Oh man, watch as some people here start going ballistic because it's a few metres short of their arbitrary 300m "supertall" threshold.

Oh man, watch as some people here start going ballistic because it's a few metres short of their arbitrary 300m "supertall" threshold.

This is outrageous. It's only 4 meters short of suuuuupertall designation. Toronto can never do anything right. Do you have any idea how many supertalls Dubai has? This completely ruins the tower for me. Blah blah... :mad:

Back