I like it, although Front b/t Bathurst and Spadina could use some sprucing up, starting with a repaving. I'd like to see some development on the N/E corner of Spadina and Front as well.

A new Globe and Mail building is coming soon to replace the Toyota dealership. KMPB is working on it and we should see some renderings in the New Year.

A new Globe and Mail building is coming soon to replace the Toyota dealership. KMPB is working on it and we should see some renderings in the New Year.

Oh that's what it's replacing !

I take it the globe and mail site will go condos too ?

That would be very annoying walking from the east and having to go that far past the bridge to get to the ramp..
I'm surprised they didn't add stairs on the east sides of the bridge.

Oh that's what it's replacing !

I take it the globe and mail site will go condos too ?

There is likely going to be some workshops with the neighbourhood to figure out what is best for the site. Perhaps a block plan of some sort.
Expect a mix of commercial, residential, and green space. Site is huge.

sidewalk

I don't get it. Is there no plan to put a sidewalk on the south side of Front St.? What does this bridge connect to?

At the Cityplace Residents Association AGM, Adam Vaughan had mentioned that the Globe was in discussions with the city to create a massive event space to rival Dundas Square on the site of their current building, as well as decking over part of the railway yard at Front/Spadina to create a more pedestrian friendly south side. They have a grand vision for the corner, and are working with the City to try and make as much of it reality as possible.

hmm, Yonge and Dundas, really ? I don't see it working in the area.

Also why would the globe be interested ? They'd program events ?

I think it would be difficult since there's no subway line. People would need to walk from Union station all the way there. Unless events really interest people, I don't know if they'd be willing to walk that far unless they happen to be at a game or concert at Skydome. I think in general if it works, that would be a great idea. It might even help Fort York Museum get some exposure too. I recall when I was young, I thought Fort York was really out of the way and difficult to get to so I never thought of visiting it.

The south end of Spadina is very congested as it is.
Imagine a game day or the Gardiner being closed for maintenance while an event is happening?

A tacky and chaotic Times Square-like space may work on Yonge Street, but I wouldn't want to see it on Spadina.

I think it would be difficult since there's no subway line. People would need to walk from Union station all the way there. Unless events really interest people, I don't know if they'd be willing to walk that far unless they happen to be at a game or concert at Skydome. I think in general if it works, that would be a great idea. It might even help Fort York Museum get some exposure too. I recall when I was young, I thought Fort York was really out of the way and difficult to get to so I never thought of visiting it.

Seriously? It's a 10 minute walk from Union Station. Or if you're lazy, the Spadina streetcar drops you off RIGHT there. Not to mention being about a 5 minute walk from the King, Queen, Queens Quay AND Bathurst streetcar lines. Then there's the proposed Fort York/Bremner streetcar line on top of all that.

This is why a lot of people choose to live in CityPlace - ultra accessible.

Potentially at least, this is a wonderful area of the city primed for some serious city-building. The Globe, hopefully, appears ready to seize the opportunity of delivering something grand for Toronto. With all that's happening in this city, this one's been flying a little under the radar. What a pleasant surprise.

I say block off this portion of Front to vehicular traffic, make it a giant pedestrian mall - then the bridge would have something to connect to! This area of the city has always struck me as being very akward where Front St becomes open to the tracks on the south side. 95% of vehicles heading west make the left onto Spadina and with no sidewalk on the south side this just feels like a forgotten stretch. I'll look forward to seeing what the vision is for this area... its really going to take a major overhaul to make it work and make it visually appealing.

Seriously? It's a 10 minute walk from Union Station. Or if you're lazy, the Spadina streetcar drops you off RIGHT there. Not to mention being about a 5 minute walk from the King, Queen, Queens Quay AND Bathurst streetcar lines. Then there's the proposed Fort York/Bremner streetcar line on top of all that.

This is why a lot of people choose to live in CityPlace - ultra accessible.

It's longer than 10 minute walk from Union Stn. I would say it's around 15-20 min walk to Old Fort York. Also, it's better to take Bathurst streetcar. That will bring you to the back end of it. I don't know if the streetcar along Fort York/Bremner will go ahead or not. It seems there's some disagreement over it or something. Something about the height issue or alignment or excuse.

Anyhow, I never knew how to get there because I lived uptown and seldom went downtown except to Chinatown or Financial district. But after moving to Cityplace, I see it every day.

The walk from Union Station to Front and Spadina is a bit of an annoying long one. I can never figure out if it's quicker to walk from St. Andrew's to Front and Spadina. Either way it's not fun. Also, is Dundas Square actually considered a success on which we should model other intersections after? Maybe I'm just getting old, but I avoid it at all costs.

Back