emphurent

Member Bio
Reaction score
City:
Toronto
With the UT forum expanding its coverage, I think it's time to fill in some of the blanks in Kitchener and region, the midrises.

So far posted projects include mainly highrise buildings, but I will now loop in some of the major midrise buildings currently under construction. Many of these buildings account for much of the rental market being built in the city.

Civic 66 is an under construction rental apartment by Killiam REIT, on the southern most part of what many would call Downtown Kitchener. Located across from The Scott.

Designed by ABA Architects, I'd personally say this is one of the most refined designs to come from the entire firm to this point. Subtle details, and a design that isn't overly chaotic. It's pretty alright for infill, some colour could've helped but I have no design trust left in ABA after their parking podium disaster in Cambridge.

(Source)
1633392512190.png

This project is mainly a precast build, which is becoming more common over the cast in place style seen over the past couple years.

Construction progress photos taken this evening, The Scott in the background with Civic 66 in front:

PXL_20211004_230606063.jpg
PXL_20211004_230625506.jpg
PXL_20211004_230749013.jpg

The patterned precast here is particularly a fun little addition that's nice to see, likely a nod to the cast in concrete design on the building adjacent.

PXL_20211004_230813292.jpg

Last edited:
Wow! Check this building out I love it! Less than 50 percent of glass exposed on the tower's facade. Which is really rare these days in my opinion.

Woah @emphur way to steal what I was going to post next.

Ok I get it, I'm just too slow...

I absolutely love this project though

Sorry, I had been planning to go out and get some photos of this one since last week! The rounded precast caught my attention. The design here is nice and I'm glad it's interfacing a little more on Weber.

There's still a few larger ones I haven't gotten to, like Drewlo, or Market Flats.

Last edited:
Sorry, I had been planning to go out and get some photos of this one since last week! The rounded precast caught my attention. The design here is nice and I'm glad it's interfacing a little more on Weber.

There's still a few larger ones I haven't gotten to, like Drewlo, or Market Flats.
I'll beat you to Drewlo but Market Flats is all yours!

In all seriousness though, love your photos! I never really have an opportunity to get in town to take photos myself sadly.

I'll beat you to Drewlo but Market Flats is all yours!

In all seriousness though, love your photos! I never really have an opportunity to get in town to take photos myself sadly.
I'm glad you and some others enjoy the update photos! I live between both Waterloo and Toronto depending on the week so I take them when I'm around. There's been a lot more happening in the area the past couple years so there's always something to see now.

Any more pics of that concentric wall cladding? That's interesting.

Any more pics of that concentric wall cladding? That's interesting.

Lots of it is visible in this photo, obviously not very flattering without windows and cleanup, but the texture is very apparent in person.

Not my photos: (Source)

20211223_024713.jpg

When viewed from further back the detailing looks a lot like the renders.

20211223_025019.jpg

Those circle swirly patterns do look pretty cool when observed at that distance. And although it's just the tarp covering the window gaps, I actually wouldn't mind if more contrasting colours like orange were integrated into the design of buildings like this.

It's turning out to be a good looking building versus the rendering, where it looked like unremarkable filler. It goes to show that spending a bit more on cladding can go a long way in terms of how pleasant a building turns out.

Photo series from yesterday, with some editing this time.

The building is topped off and windows are being installed. Overall great looking design, simple but not boring, and pairs nicely with its also new neighbour.

The only knock I have is lack of retail or grade animation, which can be said for its neighbour too.

b3.jpg

Back side wide and the moon:

b4.jpg

And from down the street:

PXL_20220413_000538528-01-01.jpeg

This angle from the school yard featuring this project and the much taller DTK make for a nice urban backdrop:

b1.jpg

Back