Here is the story from CTV:

Reactions: rbt
Impressive job! I didn't even realize the stairs were replaced, although I've passed by several times this year. As for the observation deck, haven't been there in years. I wish they had a season's pass or discount for local residents.

Hmmm. I was just watching a promo video of the tower from its site, and was surprised to see, at the end of it, plans to redevelop the outdoor observation level.
From the renderings shown, it looks like it might be glassed in: there's no evidence of the steel bars that currently go from railing to ceiling in it, and I can't believe that they would leave this much space open without them and only a railing.

Anyone have any info:?

Here's a video link to the site - it's just past the 2022 mark.

Here are a couple screenshots.

cn.png

cn2.png

Hmmm. I was just watching a promo video of the tower from its site, and was surprised to see, at the end of it, plans to redevelop the outdoor observation level.
From the renderings shown, it looks like it might be glassed in: there's no evidence of the steel bars that currently go from railing to ceiling in it, and I can't believe that they would leave this much space open without them and only a railing.

Anyone have any info:?

Here's a video link to the site - it's just past the 2022 mark.

Here are a couple screenshots.

View attachment 401875

View attachment 401876

Story:

The Press Release from last August is here: https://www.clc-sic.ca/newsroom/ani...curement-and-canada-lands-company-announce-21

The images attached to the press release:

1653222510312.png

1653222544528.png

1653222563728.png

1653222590355.png

1653222625544.png

Thanks for posting the press release, NorthernLight.

"Canada Lands’ investment will modernize the CN Tower’s Outdoor Terrace Level, maximizing year-round indoor viewing capacity, extending indoor observation, and providing a new and uninterrupted glass floor. As well, the newly renovated space, 113 storeys above Toronto, will feature state-of-the-art interactive video walls to create opportunities for enhanced engagement and guest experience."
Well, that's a bit vague. Extending indoor observation....I wonder if only sections of the level will be outdoors, or...? I guess we'll see.

Thanks for posting the press release, NorthernLight.

"Canada Lands’ investment will modernize the CN Tower’s Outdoor Terrace Level, maximizing year-round indoor viewing capacity, extending indoor observation, and providing a new and uninterrupted glass floor. As well, the newly renovated space, 113 storeys above Toronto, will feature state-of-the-art interactive video walls to create opportunities for enhanced engagement and guest experience."
Well, that's a bit vague. Extending indoor observation....I wonder if only sections of the level will be outdoors, or...? I guess we'll see.
Sounds to me like it's probably all going indoors… so if you want outdoors, it'll really cost you with the Edgewalk I suppose!

Any word on the exterior? I hope it's not staying as is. Here are some quick and dirty explorations. Hmmmm. I like the white version.
Original
Cleaned up
White cladding
Dark cladding

CN Tower Original.jpg

Clarence Sq_2.jpg

CN Tower 1.jpg

CN Tower 3.jpg

Last edited:
I like the white version but it would probably stain easily. I still prefer almost anything to raw concrete which I find incredibly ugly and depressing.

I suppose everyone has their favourite tower version, but mine is still the original. The elevators were brightly coloured and the ceiling of the outdoor deck was painted orange, looking great from the ground. The Space Deck (sky pod, now) had mirrors and red lights lining the well of the elevator entrance. People seem to be enjoying the EdgeWalk, but I hate what that support ring for it has done to the tower's profile. The reflecting pool around the base was a nice touch (paddleboats and all), and there also used to be these little masts with airplane lights on them very two hundred feet up the legs of the tower, along with vertical strings of bulbs that lined the edge of the elevator shafts. A couple dead bulbs, though, and the continuity was ruined. You could lie on the grass on the hillock where Ripley's Aquarium is now, and relax. There were also powerful zoom telescopes on the indoor observation level called "peritelescopes" that were removed after awhile. I don't know if it was because they didn't work well, or they allowed people to see into apartment windows. (laughs). The outdoor deck, too, was amazing without netting of any kind, and just the steel rods and wind between you and the abyss. I wish the base had been handled more gracefully - that new entry pavilion is a flimsy looking atrocity, and the now-uneven windows around the main observation deck detract from the tower's streamlined appearance, as do the bristling cell-phone towers around the main pod's roof. All in all, there have been a lot of alterations and compromises, some improvements some not. I'm glad it still basically looks great - it's got style - and seems to be as popular as ever.

Agreed - raw concrete.
As soon as you paint concrete it signals that the building is old or failing and
you'll have to constantly maintain the paint as it will crack, peel and flake off.
The raw concrete does, however, look patched in places too.

Just saw this link to a proposed reclad before the Pan-Am Games in The Well thread:

Last edited:

Back