Four and a half pages since Flux Capacitor identified Peter Clewes as the architect for the Concord Adex Signature Tower project (Post 379). Lots of postings on I like aA because...., or I don't like aA because... And how much information about the Signature Building project itself in four and a half pages? Nada. Recognize that different opinions are valid, but there is an Architecture thread, which to me should be the place for general discussions on architecture. Or maybe I am being naive in thinking this thread should actually be about a specific project.....

You don't feel it is pertinent to discuss the architect and his oeuvre? In the absence of designs/renders what else are we supposed to discuss??

You don't feel it is pertinent to discuss the architect and his oeuvre? In the absence of designs/renders what else are we supposed to discuss??

First of all, I do not believe that we have anything more than a rumour as confirmation that Clewes is the architect.

Secondly, I don't see why there is a NEED to discuss anything at all in this thread if there is nothing to discuss that concerns the topic at hand. When there is nothing happening with a project or its construction, there is generally no activity in the associated thread. I do not see (after a brief glance) any references as to why aA is a the right/wrong architect with respect to THIS project. I only see back and forth general arguments on the merits of the rumoured architecture firm in question which would be really appropriate in the architecture thread. I don't see how "aA is good" vs. "aA is bad" relates to a discussion on the Signature Tower Project or its Construction.

I don't think that's unreasonable.

^ +1. I was typing something quite similar until my phone lit up with a notification

We have NO info confirming Clewes except for one vague post.

Is there really no thread for debaAtes?

"Secondly, I don't see why there is a NEED to discuss anything at all in this thread if there is nothing to discuss that concerns the topic at hand... I don't see how "aA is good" vs. "aA is bad" relates to a discussion on the Signature Tower Project or its Construction."

I don't think NEED is relevant for anything here - we're not the UN Security Council, no-one awaits our pronouncement. Participation is optional.

First of all, I do not believe that we have anything more than a rumour as confirmation that Clewes is the architect.

Secondly, I don't see why there is a NEED to discuss anything at all in this thread if there is nothing to discuss that concerns the topic at hand.

Speculation on the architect and/or what this might mean in terms of design does indeed concern the topic. It may not be your cup of tea but not all aspects of a project will appeal to all. Personally I find endless postings on the construction of a building to be mind-numblingly dull. A chacun son gout!

Me too. Who cares if they've added another couple of floors to such-and-such condo tower in the past month? The wonder, surely, would be if they'd removed a few floors.

Since I've now started an even more off-topic debate, I'll stop there and agree to disagree with Urban Shocker and Tewder etc. a discussion about the relevance of a topic to a thread is as off-topic as you can get and really not all that important.

I will add though that I hope aA is the architect for this. I don't think we'd see anything as reserved and simple as most of their other projects. I believe concord wants something a bit more attention-grabbing for this site.

Agreed. Concord know this will be a legacy project; they would not have held this competition otherwise. Will we all get what we want here, whether it turns out to be aA or not? No, we never all agree. Let's hope whatever they propose is as good and better as CityPlace's best yet. That is an achievable target, and would make a significant number of us happy.

But where repeat where are the renders? The world wonders! If this was a competitive project, then polished designs must surely have been floating around for months now. Is this the Internet I knew as a child? One of you is sitting on them, I know it!

is this actually going to be built and is there real renders out there or just the ones people posted of it sideways as a ...males bleep?

... and here it is:

Not odd - you were chosen at random to illustrate the early response to some of The Great Man's tall point towers - specifically the opposition to height. A few more of SD2/syn's comments about the work of aA and Clewes from that thread:

( ... the last one espousing the unacceptable at any height philosophy )

It's rather disingenuous to suggest these statements constitute a condemnation of aA in general or point towers. These comments refer to a specific project in a specific area.

If you need to take statements completely out of context to make a point you don't really have one.

But where repeat where are the renders? The world wonders! If this was a competitive project, then polished designs must surely have been floating around for months now. Is this the Internet I knew as a child? One of you is sitting on them, I know it!

The competition determined a winning firm - not a winning design. There is no final plan for this site yet.

Possibly they wouldn't be published immediately if the renderings were conceptual or impressionistic.

Or, if despite winning, significant changes were requested such as bulking up a podium for retail etc. I can only imagine the howls on this site if some slight premiminary shortcome was left uncorrected.

The firms involved were told "the sky's the limit - what would you design with no limitations on cost". The competition looked for a firm with a vision, not for a finished design. Now that a firm has been chosen, the standard planning process is in place, and that includes Concord, the architects, a planning firm, traffic consultants, a branding agency, an interior design firm, etc. etc. It will likely be a few months before we see the initial results of all of that.

Back