Wasn't the only issues with the building the podium/how it met the street?

That was my understanding initially too but I guess that was just the tip of the iceberg. Or I suppose...the root of the problem.

It's become a rather ugly building. Nothing to get excited about here, and no one should be the least bit surprised.

Yeah it's so disappointing to see such a sleek slender skyscraper get dissected to shite :(

Can Cresford really brag the the same about the new beast??

YSL Residences, Canada’s tallest address and Yonge Street’s monumental new Cresford landmark. The epitome of luxury living, designed to elevate the fortunate few who will call it home.

The proposed 98-storey mixed-use tower at Yonge and Gerrard will be the tallest residential building in Canada. For a project of this scale and vision, Cresford has tapped the expertise of one of the world’s most highly regarded architecture firms, New York based Kohn Pedersen Fox, renowned for designing the tallest towers in various countries. Celebrated worldwide for their design excellence and innovative buildings, KPF will complement Cresford’s commitment to quality, design and luxury, and the partnership will deliver a new landmark building that will further raise the profile of Yonge Street and put Canada on the world stage.

REGISTER NOW

well technically "storeys" are equivalent to legal levels, which can not be skipped ... count of "floors" can however

I don't know how this really works, but it's almost as if the developer purposefully made the tower way too wide in response to the city cutting the height - to give themselves a bargaining chip.

Developer - "Oh, you think this will cast to large a shadow? Ok, let us make it taller and well slim it down"

That is the reason they originally proposed it so tall. With the original 2 tower design by Quadrangle and Kingsett Capital, the city said that this was too small of a site for two independent towers. So Cresford combined it into one mega-tall building. The city likely then said it was too tall, so now they have chopped it down with a large floorplate instead.

Do we know if KPF is involved in this anymore? The only saving grace to the massing change would be to at least keep their quality in the design.

I wish the redesign wasn't so fin-like.... it's as if someone cut the Ryugong Hotel into thirds, and transported one to Toronto o_O

Do we know if KPF is involved in this anymore? The only saving grace to the massing change would be to at least keep their quality in the design.

they probably are cause the new design resembles some of their work in Asia and 2 of the Hudson towers.

Back