Concord Completes Restructuring of Canada's Second Tallest Residential Tower And Names It Concord Sky

Sep 22, 2021

Concord Adex announces its latest acquisition, Concord Sky. It is set to be a Toronto icon due to its unique shape and height like the Transamerica Pyramid is to San Francisco. It will be the Country's second tallest residential tower at 299 m and 4th tallest structure overall. Centrally located at Yonge and Gerrard, it will be to market with 95 stories, approximately 1100 homes and is now due to complete in 2026.

Terry Hui, President and CEO Concord Adex/Concord Pacific
We are pleased to have acquired what will be one of Toronto's most iconic tower projects. This will continue our skyline defining presence in Toronto including CityPlace and ParkPlace. This tower will be a vertical neighbourhood. The scale of the Concord Sky development is equivalent to 4-5 condo tower projects in Vancouver. We put our name on Concord Sky and intend to be exceptional stewards of this property for future generations.

David Gruber, Partner Bennett Jones
Acquiring a site of this size in this market is not an undertaking for the faint of heart. This restructuring was complicated with many uncertain market and financial factors. Concord is one of the few developers in the country with the wherewithal to take this on. The judge confirmed that interested parties were dealt with in good faith and moving forward, Concord will have maintained the almost all the 700 plus buyers put forth.

Concord Completes Restructuring of Canada's Second Tallest Residential Tower And Names It Concord Sky

Sep 22, 2021

Concord Adex announces its latest acquisition, Concord Sky
. It is set to be a Toronto icon due to its unique shape and height like the Transamerica Pyramid is to San Francisco. It will be the Country's second tallest residential tower at 299 m and 4th tallest structure overall. Centrally located at Yonge and Gerrard, it will be to market with 95 stories, approximately 1100 homes and is now due to complete in 2026.

Terry Hui, President and CEO Concord Adex/Concord Pacific
We are pleased to have acquired what will be one of Toronto's most iconic tower projects. This will continue our skyline defining presence in Toronto including CityPlace and ParkPlace. This tower will be a vertical neighbourhood. The scale of the Concord Sky development is equivalent to 4-5 condo tower projects in Vancouver. We put our name on Concord Sky and intend to be exceptional stewards of this property for future generations.

David Gruber, Partner Bennett Jones
Acquiring a site of this size in this market is not an undertaking for the faint of heart. This restructuring was complicated with many uncertain market and financial factors. Concord is one of the few developers in the country with the wherewithal to take this on. The judge confirmed that interested parties were dealt with in good faith and moving forward, Concord will have maintained the almost all the 700 plus buyers put forth.

This company is more delusional than I thought.

I just went ahead and highlighted all the points we can all laugh at together.

Didn't the project always have balconies on the east side?

The article also says the KPF remains involved. a-A was always the architect of record here, it makes sense that they are more involved as the project moves through construction. That's not anything different than if Cresford had built YSL.

The balconies on the East side appear to extend slightly higher now (above the break in the mechanical levels), and it looks like balconies were also added to the south face.

Definitely a Casa-efficiation of the original design.

Even (assuming) absent floors ending in ‘4’, this may end up being shortest 95 storey tower in the world.

Last edited:
2nd tallest residential tower? What about The One and Sky Tower from Pinnacle. Both are over 300m.
I am assuming that The One is being referred to as mixed use because of its hotel component just like how the St. Regis is claimed to be the tallest mixed use building in Canada with its hotel, with Sky Tower being the first tallest residential tower.

The official website still has KPF attached:

1632401667363.png

Jeez - they are delusional, comparing the render we saw to the Transamerica Tower. The Transamerica is distinctive and beautiful. This thing will be used as an example of how Toronto is an ugly city for decades to come.
...I'll quietly refer to this as the Transtoronto Wedgie until proven this will be a quality building we're getting. I'm not holding my breath though.

Honestly I suspect the rendering is just a terrible rendering. I'm going to reserve judgement until I see SPA elevations and some closer up renderings.

I agree - honestly I think this rendering is just much more true to the previously filed SPA (via the development portal):

South side:
1632415257884.png
East side:
1632415291625.png

You can pretty clearly see the cladding change on the point here in addition to balconies running quite high on the east and south sides.

Last edited:
"Designed by KPF Architects, contemporary linear lines meet expansive glass walls at high altitudes that will bring Downtown Toronto’s skyline to new heights."
https://www.concordsky.ca/

Don't know about anyone else, but I'm greatly relieved the linear lines are contemporary (too bad the glass walls are expansive rather than expensive).

I think this looks junky but IMO the previous version was just boring glass walls and I didn't like it either. The only thing that was good about it was the shape. A lot of it likely would have ended up being spandrel as well I imagine. If anything this new design just seems more realistic to what would have end up being built anyway vs. the previous design's magical endless clean sheets of glass that never end up being reality. And I kind of prefer more definition to the top of this one instead of it just being more glass glass glass. Now that's not to say I think this looks great or even good haha — it definitely looks junky and I worry what the inevitable real-world difference from the render will look like on top of this — but I don't really know that the previous version was even that much better.

Back