Aura has a much worse case of it than this one, but I know what you mean. Aura was a wasted opportunity. I can't see ever warming up to its massing.

With Concord Sky, it too has some weird add-ons that visually muddy up the waters. Its cladding is going to be crucial if it's to look half-way decent.

I actually don't mind Aura, at least the upper half. The lower you go the worse it gets.

As for this particular project, this is not only the worst version of anything they've proposed for this site, there seem to be some simple changes they could make to end up with a decent tower. Hopefully they happen.

It would look better in the skyline if the taller side faced north/Aura, so that both towers relate to each other across the intersection, rather than the taller brother standing in line with its back to the shorter brother.

My problem lies with having to split up a building into fractions in order to achieve "liking" any of it! I agree, Aura's lower half is the offending one. Graceless.

Source

20220126_001940.jpg

Construction to restart on 95-storey Concord Sky

February 18, 2022

Concord picked up the pieces of the aborted YSL Residences project last May and within a year of acquiring the project it was able to commit to restarting construction this month.

Concord vice-president of marketing Isaac Chan noted most of its residential projects are in the 30- to 50-storey range with the 79-storey Concord Canada House in Toronto’s Concord Cityplace representing its tallest tower to date. Concord Sky is new territory.

“We’re happy to be working on a project like that, but it is of quite a scale and it comes with a lot different set of considerations, whether that be managing costs or managing construction schedules and timing,” said Chan, noting the financial troubles encountered by original developer Cresford serve as a cautionary tale for projects of this size.

---------
Concord Sky will reach 299 metres, becoming one of the top three in Toronto upon expected completion in 2026, with a 10-storey mixed-use podium, 1,100 residences, 20 specially programmed elevators and 100-per-cent EV parking infrastructure.

---------
Sales were launched in January and Chan noted that typically developers wait until they have perhaps 75 per cent of sales confirmed before committing to a start of construction. Concord is well enough financed that they can commit to launching the build right away, and that has advantages, he explained — by holding on to some inventory, they can adjust the sales prices later on if warranted.

"noting the financial troubles encountered by original developer Cresford serve as a cautionary tale for projects of this size."

And here we find the justification used for them to completely cheap out on the project
Yet it wasn't just that drove Cresford into the ground, it was more mismanagement. Least from what I gather...as other companies doing the same with more competence fared batter. So no cheaping out!

Back