The Imperial system is still used in many places.

The height of planes flying or top of mountains are usually in feet instead of meters. Also the height of buildings. It's easier visually for me to look at height of building in feet instead of meters.

Also, body temperature is also in farhenheit instead of celcius in most cases.

Besides that, I think everything else is in metric system

One area where I remain in the imperial world is a persons height and weight. If they issue an APB and describe the person in cm and kg I wouldn't know this person if they were standing next to me (I don't know my own weight and height in metric).

make-america-use-the-metric-system-red-cap.png

Source

On the note of influence and whether developers care about supertall status or not. Just take a look at the dream propsal on King. My interpretation from the DRP today is that the height of the building definitely at least has something to do with the proposal being the way it is. They absolutely wanted a supertall on that site.

Not every developer will have this in mind and certainly I dont think it's the primary consideration ever, but as 42 pointed out, if they have a certain number of units in mind and a certain size and whatever and that leaves them with a building that's only a few meters short of supertall status, they may then look at ways to push it over for the sake of prestige.

There is no question that supertall status is one of prestige, even if only amongst the urban interest communities. Very few companies will shy away from reaching a prestigious mark, if it will cost them a minimal amount more to reach it.

A developer is never going to add 10 to 15m just for the sake of supertall status, but they absolutely may consider adding a few if it's relatively easy for them to do.

Hopefully that is something that we see happen here, just for the sake of us skyscraper geeks

only stopping the building before the shadowing would become a problem for the City—but took it onboard and the subsequent revision found a way to get it over the 300-metre mark without impacting shadows.

I have to be honest, why do they care so much about the shadows. Seems silly to me. I don't understand...

I have to be honest, why do they care so much about the shadows. Seems silly to me. I don't understand...

Not caring would be silly.

Shadowing, particularly of public parks/squares is important for a number of reasons.

1); If the area is substantially or totally in shadow, most trees and plants will die, and your park will be completely barren. Plants require sunlight, some more, some less, but it matters.

2) Humans need sunlight, it's an important source of Vitamin D and is generally mood-lifting

3) The above is reflected in greater enjoyment of public spaces that get sun.

In the case of this particular development, the focus on shadow is about Allen Gardens. The park is not moving, it was there first, by more than a century. It's also home to large sun-loving flower displays; and greenhouses
full of sun loving and tropical plants.

With other developments, the similar focus is on parks and public squares.

But some consideration is also given to street conditions; people don't generally want to live or walk in shadow constantly.

And street trees need light every bit as much as those in parks.

Shadowing, particularly of public parks/squares is important for a number of reasons.

1); If the area is substantially or totally in shadow, most trees and plants will die, and your park will be completely barren. Plants require sunlight, some more, some less, but it matters.

2) Humans need sunlight, it's an important source of Vitamin D and is generally mood-lifting

In the case of this particular development, the focus on shadow is about Allen Gardens. The park is not moving, it was there first, by more than a century. It's also home to large sun-loving flower displays; and greenhouses

But some consideration is also given to street conditions; people don't generally want to live or walk in shadow constantly.

Don't forget that it can be really problematic when the shadows become sentient...

1621627814884.png

(Screenshot from Disney Ducktails episode "Magica's Shadow War")

Thanks for the explanation. I guess on my last trip to NYC, it just seemed to me that when put buildings up there, shadows don't seem to be a concern so I was thinking why different here? Maybe I'm wrong about NYC, but that was the sense I got because so many areas with so many huge skyscrapers.

Thanks for the explanation. I guess on my last trip to NYC, it just seemed to me that when put buildings up there, shadows don't seem to be a concern so I was thinking why different here? Maybe I'm wrong about NYC, but that was the sense I got because so many areas with so many huge skyscrapers.

Your're welcome.

In respect of NYC..........

1621680708465.png

Link below:

Excerpt from above:

1621680801967.png

1621680844536.png

Last edited:
Maybe not CONSTANTLY, but in summer I definitely prefer to walk on the shadowed side of the street, to avoid the blazing sun.

Sure, but you appreciate the sun in winter, on cooler days in spring and autumn; when you've just got out of the pool or the Lake; chances are you also appreciate trees and flowers while walking on that shady section of street; something you wouldn't have if it wasn't the sunny side for a portion of the day.

I'd also point out, where we have given trees the proper conditions to grow; they provide excellent shade, mooting the above.

As examples:

1621690792969.png

1621690983597.png

The trees can take the sun, so you don't have to......

Last edited:
Either way YSL condo purchase contracts will be cancelled. It’s good time for some real estate lawyers big pockets

Final deciding court day for YSL on Monday June 28th, Either all Ysl condo buyers contract in the drain and Concord takes over YSL or it goes to bankruptcy chopping block. Just click google YG Limited partnership and Ysl

So do you think it's just a matter of Concord proving they have the money to take over the project?

Last edited by a moderator:
Final deciding court day for YSL on Monday June 28th, Either all Ysl condo buyers contract in the drain and Concord takes over YSL or it goes to bankruptcy chopping block. Just click google YG Limited partnership and Ysl
Not too sure if that's entirely true. If Concord takes over YSL they intend to avoid terminating existing condo purchases. (source: https://www.ksvadvisory.com/docs/de...returnable-june-23-2021.pdf?sfvrsn=787d59d5_2)

"Concord submits that the Proposal represents a bone fide restructuring transaction that will: (a) result in a meaningful and expeditious recovery to YSL's creditors; (b) avoid the prospect of the termination of existing condominium purchase agreements (an outcome that would dramatically increase YSL's secured debts, in addition to having significant personal impact on - 2 - affected purchasers); and (c) lead to the expeditious resumption of construction of the development project, thereby putting numerous construction and other trades back to work and delivering approximately 1,100 new homes to the supply-constrained GTA market on the fastest possible timeline."

Back