The current 900 AIRPORT EXPRESS runs from KIPLING STATION to Pearson Airport.

ttc-900-map-20181118.png
From link.

Unless they decide to construct the Eglinton West LRT extension to Person Airport, and only go to Renforth Station, will they need a separate airport express bus from Renforth Station or will they add a stop at Renforth Station?
There is 2 options once the LRT hits the airport.

We are looking at a 2030+ to 2040+ time frame at this time.

The current plan is to have miWay run bus service from Renforth to the airport by the 107/101 with 101 been the main option going to Terminal 1, Having the 101 run like it did was a joke and waste of resources. Having it run from CCTT to the airport has always been the best option. 101 is currently cancel.

1: stay as is

2: make a stop at Renforth and then to the airport the slow route.

Since the 900 Drops/Pickup riders at the front door of both terminals, Option 1 is the best option at this point.

Until the LRT is up and running a year, only then will TTC sees a drop or increase of riders for the 900 to determined what will happen to the 900. At this point, its a guessing game and remain so until that one year of LRT service is done.

Only after the LRT is built to the airport and in service, will a true picture how riders are using the 900 and the LRT surface,

This is where fare integration must take place for all systems.

Agreeing and adding to what @ARG1 stated above, even the preliminary plans that were shared by GTAA were just that, preliminary. Meant to initiate a buzz and see how much investment they might get from public and private parties. All GTAA knows for now is that the Union Station West is going to come up on the parking lots North of the current terminal buildings. Even the initial rendering, there are a lot of issues with the rendering itself, why is there a requirement for the 409 ROW if there is no car access to the current terminal buildings, where is the car access to the passenger terminal building, why is there only one connection between the passenger terminal building and the gates, etc?

View attachment 392208

Here is a view of the site currently:
View attachment 392209

All we know is that it's going to go on the parking lot lands. But the issue is that this is just the ultimate vision rendering. For now, I would expect a small terminal building for the Eglinton West LRT, Finch West LRT and maybe a few buses and/or GO Train, while they wait for investors for the more grandiose portions of the plan. I'm hoping that whatever they decide for the Eglinton West LRT connection to the airport is integrated well into the future design that it can be iterated and built upon to ultimately get it to the grand vision.
I assume this plan also includes some kind of people-mover between the station and the 2 terminals right? Pearson is massive and expecting people to walk between the terminals and the stations is insane.

Last edited:
Would they be extending the LINK people mover to Renforth Station or not?

cilink18.jpeg
From link.

The LINK trains look too small to handle the possible crowds from Renforth Station and the Line 5 extension.

I assume this plan also includes some kind of people-mover between the station and the 2 terminals right? Pearson is massive and expecting people to walk between the terminals and the stations is insane.
The proposed station at Pearson is approximately where Viscount station is today, so it would require a relatively minor change to the existing link system.

Would they be extending the LINK people mover to Renforth Station or not?

cilink18.jpeg
From link.

The LINK trains look too small to handle the possible crowds from Renforth Station and the Line 5 extension.
You will have to fully rebuilt the system from a rope system to a true people mover. The current Link can go an extra station or 2, but the wait time will triple plus between trains as there is still one car per track. This was looked at over a decade ago or more when talk surface about extending the system to a GO station or Renforth and DOA.

The best to have a mover that can have more than one car on line with a crossover at each end and at stations. Have ridden a few that were + or -. Seen one with loops at the ends in place of crossovers.

Most are standing room only with no seats that I been on.

Last edited:
Let's be honest, the layout of Pearson Airport and the surrounding area is so bad.

It really needs to be wiped clean and started from scratch. Just thinking about practical solutions to fix it makes my head hurt.
No really that bad, but where the transit hub is to be has to be in the right location to reduce walking distance and easy to get to the terminals. Visit airports around NA and Europe and you will see some good layout for transit as well bad one.

To get the transit terminal close to the terminals has to be underground including GO/UPX either on one level or 2. Would have 4 stub track with wide platforms between tracks and one for the buses.

As it stands, you got 2 LRT lines plan for the airport to the point they could be one line except for the quality of service and length of the trains. Best to set them up with a walkway between the 2 line as well having 2 tracks for each one to allow having a train waiting for riders until the next one arrives.. Riders would walk down the walkway to get the GO/UPX trains as well to the buses. Not going to be cheap.

On a different note, I had emailed the Eglinton West LRT team regarding adding a secondary exit on the opposite side of the road and also have option to add Transit Oriented developments to be added to the stations. This is the response I received from them:

1649860762263.png

I've followed up with additional points to support the secondary entrance, but I wouldn't keep my hopes up. It looks like the decision has already been made.

Though, I would definitely recommend that the forum members to send emails to the Metrolinx team through this email address (EglintonWest@metrolinx.com)to highlight our concerns and recommendations for this project.

With this extension, the business park south of Pearson Airport could be redeveloped. Many of the parking lots could get new buildings. Will they evolve into business parks like in the Netherlands?

View attachment 393818From link.

The best option to redevelop into a Airport Business Park is the stretch on the East, North East side of Airport Rd. GTAA owns the Airway Centre and the parking lots surrounding the Alt hotel/Link station (future intermodal hub), and I think they also own the international centre.

A visonary plan for the Airport Intermodal Hub would be to include office and conference centre space with the development and free up those lands for other developments.

Land values for industrial lands from the airport east to Martin Grove and beyond continue to push upwards due to location, location, location. Based on recent transactions the upward curve may not be quite as steep as housing but still significantly upwards through the COVID period. I could certainly see increased redevelopment and intensification of the 1960's warehousing stock to bring sites into more current requirements for warehousing and general light industrial use.

FYI - RFP for EGWLRT Advance Tunnel 2

It's very interesting how they split up this project into many contracts.

Back