As Jane was the original planned terminus of Phase 1 of the Eglinton line during Transit City, and was then planned to be elevated, we are decades too late to be discussing this. Had it been planned to go under the Humber river, they would not have built Mount Dennis at grade. It's decades too late to be discussing this.

A comment on the article.

IMG-20220710-WA0006(1).jpg

Had an opportunity to drive through from Martin Grove to Scarlett a couple of days ago.

Martin Grove - Piling work still going on for the station headwalls.

Kipling - The south side of Eglinton is closed at Kipling now and work is happening in the closed lanes. They might be moving utilities beneath the road to the south side to allow for the tunnel to go under the road. They've also cordoned off some of the grass on the south side, probably to facilitate shifting the road 3 metres to the south.

Islington - No work being performed

Royal York - No work being performed

Scarlett - South side of Eglinton fully closed and the embankment on the south side is being carved out near the pedestrian bridge, I presume to move the road to the South.

Unfortunately, I was driving so I couldn't take any pictures.

Have we heard anything else on the airport terminals connection for Line 5? I think earlier this year there was an announcement of fed funding to continue design, but haven't heard a peep since.
As far as I know, the airport extension is on hold until the GTAA gets its shit together to build the transit hub they wanted next to Pearson.

GTAA had already allocated the land they plan on using for the extension, I think they want to build everything at once so they dont have to build a loop that would only be in use for a few years before the transit hub gets completed.

Have we heard anything else on the airport terminals connection for Line 5? I think earlier this year there was an announcement of fed funding to continue design, but haven't heard a peep since.

As far as I know, the airport extension is on hold until the GTAA gets its shit together to build the transit hub they wanted next to Pearson.

GTAA had already allocated the land they plan on using for the extension, I think they want to build everything at once so they dont have to build a loop that would only be in use for a few years before the transit hub gets completed.
The latest update was from April, with the province investing cash to advance planning and design for the project. Even if we haven’t heard much, it’s a live project.

Here are some snaps from the presentation on July 26. I've only included the newer renderings not previously shared.

1659537895221.png

1659537943623.png

1659538022108.png

1659538046404.png

1659538113699.png

1659538158919.png

Overall, I think nothing majorly new in this presentation than what was already provided. I feel like this presentation is more tuned towards the NIMBY's that are asking to bury the line through the Scarlett to Jane section.

Here are some snaps from the presentation on July 26. I've only included the newer renderings not previously shared.

View attachment 417795

View attachment 417796

View attachment 417797

View attachment 417798

View attachment 417802

View attachment 417803

Overall, I think nothing majorly new in this presentation than what was already provided. I feel like this presentation is more tuned towards the NIMBY's that are asking to bury the line through the Scarlett to Jane section.
The elevated section is fine, and the NIMBYs need to be ignored. It will literally have zero impact on park use. Thanks for sharing the renders.

When's the last time in Toronto that a transit line extension started construction before the original line was even finished? Seems very rare...
technically, never. The Bloor Danforth line did open in stages though, between 1966 and 1968. The original line which opened in 1966 was only from Keele to Woodbine, with subsequent extensions to Islington and Warden opening 2 years later. They were all part of a single project from the start however, so I'm not sure they count.

no connection to Pearson, half-assed as usual...
That's because they can't extend it to pearson until the GTAA finalizes their Airport Transit Hub plans, and, well, that's under the jurisdiction of the feds. Keep in mind though, any extension to the airport will likely be above ground, and take a lot less time to build relatively. There is a good chance that even if construction starts 2-4 years from now, it can be finished either at the same time as Eglinton West, or a few years after.

Last edited:

Back