News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Since I guess you weren't around when those original conversations happened.....

The original planning for the line called for Michigan Lefts at almost all of the intersections. By the time they showed that to the public, the response was so overwhelmingly negative that they were removed for the EA.

The line as it is - from Weston to Kennedy - more-or-less follows the EA.

Dan

When you say that the Michigan Lefts were received overwhelmingly negatively by the "public", I can only assume that means a negative reception from drivers. More proof that Toronto put the needs of drivers ahead of the needs of transit riders.

How would Michigan lefts have helped, except in eliminating the nonsensical practice of prioritizing left turning cars over transit vehicles? If anything, it would make the problem worse, from the perspective of the LRT, because now you've just doubled the number of possible collision points. Left turns being given priority is a trivial problem; the far bigger one is idiot motorists that don't look over their shoulder when crossing a tram ROW.

I don't know how to make this problem go away. Rumble strips, maybe?

How would Michigan lefts have helped, except in eliminating the nonsensical practice of prioritizing left turning cars over transit vehicles? If anything, it would make the problem worse, from the perspective of the LRT, because now you've just doubled the number of possible collision points. Left turns being given priority is a trivial problem; the far bigger one is idiot motorists that don't look over their shoulder when crossing a tram ROW.

I don't know how to make this problem go away. Rumble strips, maybe?
Get rid of those intersections for carsaltogether.

Anyone would would use the Swift/Credit Union intersection can simply drive 400m to the Sloane intersection
1711672041460.png

1711672123028.png

1711672209242.png

1711672306890.png

Altogether, these 5 left turns are totally unnecessary. Maybe you can have pedestrian crossings but theres no reason why we need to permit these left turns so people can save 3 minutes instead of just making a u-turn at the next arterial or just going around.

Transportation department just has a terminal case of car brain.

That would be ideal. However, would that make the problem go away at the major intersections? From my experience, people who have a general green (i.e. not a dedicated left turn phase), but are waiting for gaps in traffic, often do very stupid things.

Back