News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

I'd like to see more of those LED scroll boards at important bus and streetcar stops with the time to next vehicle.
I think they are working on rolling them out unfortunately like anything with the TTC it's a funding issue and something that can only be done when funds exit or the redo a bus stop. There is also the need to power them which requires Toronto Hydro to provide a power supply to them.

March 6:

Eglinton West (Cedarvale) station:

View from Aldburn Road:

IMG_0054.jpg

Closeups from just west of the station:
IMG_0055.jpg
IMG_0056.jpg

Peeking underneath:
IMG_0057.jpg
IMG_0058.jpg

I think they are working on rolling them out unfortunately like anything with the TTC it's a funding issue and something that can only be done when funds exit or the redo a bus stop. There is also the need to power them which requires Toronto Hydro to provide a power supply to them.
At bus stops or just Crosstown stops? If the second, I would think there are lights in the station.

At bus stops or just Crosstown stops? If the second, I would think there are lights in the station.
At bus stops, they need a power source for them. Metrolinx is responsible for anything being installed at crosstown stops and most likely if they plan on having any sort of next LRT arrival signs they would have installed any wiring for them during construction

At bus stops, they need a power source for them. Metrolinx is responsible for anything being installed at crosstown stops and most likely if they plan on having any sort of next LRT arrival signs they would have installed any wiring for them during construction

Hopefully, they would include empty conduits for any future use that may come up. Today, we can see (communication, signal control, etc.) conduits in the original stations because they didn't include them in the original design.

They would have installed wiring for lighting and Presto machines. They just need to extend those wiring for new signs on the future.

What's missing from the surface stops of the Eglinton Crosstown LRT and maybe its extensions?...

New Green Line (Boston) Stops Bring New Public Art to Medford, Somerville, and Cambridge

From link.

New stations for the Green Line Extension north of Boston won’t just provide platforms for trains – they’ll also be platforms for several new pieces in the MBTA’s public art collection.

Contractors are beginning to assemble the new stations on the Green Line Extension (GLX) in preparation for its opening later this year, and during the project’s February Community Working Group meeting, the officials shared images of how the new artworks will fit into the new stations.

In a statement, MBTA officials wrote that “this GLX Art Enrichment Program seeks to contribute to the vibrancy of the GLX communities by investing in the success of local artists… The goal is to enhance existing station elements to create a warm and welcoming environment in key areas experienced by the riding public, to both unify and differentiate stations, and to enhance the connection between the station and the community.”

The new public art was commissioned by the MBTA in conjunction with the Somerville, Medford, and Cambridge Arts Councils...

FieldNotesRandalThurston_Lechmere_creditMBTA.png

A rendering of Field Notes, by Randal Thurston, to be installed at the new Lechmere MBTA station in 2021. Courtesy of the MBTA.

Passage_byMattTrimble_UnionSqStation_creditMBTA.png

PASSAGE, by Matt Trimble, a 3-D printed polymer sculpture, will straddle over the entrance to Union Square Station in Somerville. Courtesy of the MBTA.

DominoFrameInTension_byNadirTehrani_EastSomerville.png

Domino Frame in Tension, by Nadir Tehrani, will be a sculpture of aluminum foam, steel rising over the new East Somerville station. Courtesy of the MBTA.

UnfoldingLight_ByAaronStephan_MagounSquare.png

Unfolding Light, by Aaron Stephan, will be a sculpture of solar-powered light fixtures framing the entryway to the new Magoun Square station in Somerville. Rendering courtesy of the MBTA.

ButAName_byAaronStephan_MagounSquare.png

Porcelain enamel panels on the Magoun Square platform will feature additional artwork by Stephan, inspired by the graffiti at a nearby paper factory. Courtesy of the MBTA.

TourJete%CC%81Elevator_ByChristineVaillancourt_BallSquare.png

Christine Vaillancourt’s Tour Jeté Series will adorn the printed glass panels on the Ball Square Station elevator tower, pictured above, and continue on several enamel panels on the station’s platform. Courtesy of the MBTA.

WaggleDance_ByNancySelvage_TuftsMedford.png

Waggle Dance by Nancy Selvage, to be installed at the new Medford/Tufts MBTA station in 2021. Courtesy of the MBTA.

What's missing from the surface stops of the Eglinton Crosstown LRT and maybe its extensions?...

New Green Line (Boston) Stops Bring New Public Art to Medford, Somerville, and Cambridge

From link.

A rendering of Field Notes, by Randal Thurston, to be installed at the new Lechmere MBTA station in 2021. Courtesy of the MBTA.

PASSAGE, by Matt Trimble, a 3-D printed polymer sculpture, will straddle over the entrance to Union Square Station in Somerville. Courtesy of the MBTA.

Domino Frame in Tension, by Nadir Tehrani, will be a sculpture of aluminum foam, steel rising over the new East Somerville station. Courtesy of the MBTA.

Unfolding Light, by Aaron Stephan, will be a sculpture of solar-powered light fixtures framing the entryway to the new Magoun Square station in Somerville. Rendering courtesy of the MBTA.

Porcelain enamel panels on the Magoun Square platform will feature additional artwork by Stephan, inspired by the graffiti at a nearby paper factory. Courtesy of the MBTA.

Christine Vaillancourt’s Tour Jeté Series will adorn the printed glass panels on the Ball Square Station elevator tower, pictured above, and continue on several enamel panels on the station’s platform. Courtesy of the MBTA.

Waggle Dance by Nancy Selvage, to be installed at the new Medford/Tufts MBTA station in 2021. Courtesy of the MBTA.

thats all fluff and things you can do with an unlimited coffer. All I see is $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ that we cant afford to buy nor more importantly to maintain a la the lighted arc en ciel art that was taken down

thats all fluff and things you can do with an unlimited coffer. All I see is $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ that we cant afford to buy nor more importantly to maintain a la the lighted arc en ciel art that was taken down
Art makes people happier. If they aren't prohibitively expensive, we should all support them. I wish they would do more to maintain them. Better than putting an empty concrete box 9 stories under.

Art makes people happier. If they aren't prohibitively expensive, we should all support them. I wish they would do more to maintain them. Better than putting an empty concrete box 9 stories under.
True, but happy people may no longer be happy when they see how much they have to pay for it due to govt red tape causing inflation to the price tag. Then were back to square one

So...any ideas how much art on the Crosstown cost, and how much a percentage of the final cost it was?

Since you think it's $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$?

Back