5.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 26K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Voltz

Member Bio
Reaction score
Here's a nice throwback video I found of the Crosstown announcement being made back in the days McGuinty was premier, and Wynne was Minister of Transportation. 10+ years later, we're still building it..

Of course, they had made an announcement a few years prior, funding the the entire line, and was to open in phases starting in like 2015. And then before Ford was Mayor they delayed and shortened it.

EastYorkTTCFan

Member Bio
Reaction score
City:
Toronto
Of course, they had made an announcement a few years prior, funding the the entire line, and was to open in phases starting in like 2015. And then before Ford was Mayor they delayed and shortened it.
That was the transit city plan the underground section was supposed to open first with the above-ground section following a few months klater as it would take less time to build. Metoilnx however deced they knew better and that they would build everything at the same time and then open it all at once. Alos they deced that they would ned to have the vechels delivered before they had the manatince facllity built becuse they din't want to change any of the timelines

Voltz

Member Bio
Reaction score
That was the transit city plan the underground section was supposed to open first with the above-ground section following a few months klater as it would take less time to build. Metoilnx however deced they knew better and that they would build everything at the same time and then open it all at once. Alos they deced that they would ned to have the vechels delivered before they had the manatince facllity built becuse they din't want to change any of the timelines
When it was a TTC project, which is probably earlier than you are thinking here, the first phase was Eglinton West Station, (Yes I'm going to keep calling it that) to Martin Grove. then going east in sections to Kennedy, then back to the west end to connect to the Airport.

EastYorkTTCFan

Member Bio
Reaction score
City:
Toronto
When it was a TTC project, which is probably earlier than you are thinking here, the first phase was Eglinton West Station, (Yes I'm going to keep calling it that) to Martin Grove. then going east in sections to Kennedy, then back to the west end to connect to the Airport.
Exactly. Also I dislike the names that Metrolinx their hired wayfinding expert, random people who will probably never use the line and a bunch of local council members decided on. They should have just kept the same type of names as the TTC did. Eglinton West could have just been named Eglinton West/ Allen road but they thought that people would get confused about it. Honestly I think more people are going to be confused about the names they picked then they would be if they had used street names.

TransitBart

Member Bio
Reaction score
City:
Toronto
View attachment 332683

Don't know if it's a known issue, but a lot of the orange signs along the Crosstown are bowing...
Perfect reason to replace them with TTC livery. This is one of the dumbest most vainglorious exercises in corporate vanity I have ever seen and to top it off it’s between two government agencies with our tax dollars. Stupid. In Toronto, “T” is for TTC shortcomings and all. Metrolinx projects would cost half if construction were the only activity.

Johnny Au

Member Bio
Reaction score
Part 3 of 3 taken at Caledonia station on July 5, 2021:

IMG_0880.jpg
IMG_0881.jpg
IMG_0882.jpg
IMG_0883.jpg
IMG_0884.jpg
IMG_0885.jpg
IMG_0886.jpg
IMG_0887.jpg
IMG_0888.jpg

toronto647

Member Bio
Reaction score
I don't think this gets done by next year, you travel around sites and you don't see anyone working at most of these sites
Anyone have any updates or predictions on opening. I originally thought Ford would want to open it by election next June but that seems impossible at this point! Doesn't seem like we are going to get the whole line operational until end of 2023 at the earliest it seems.

I live on Eglinton on the above grade portion and have not seen trains being tested... I guess the testing has gotten delayed.

EastYorkTTCFan

Member Bio
Reaction score
City:
Toronto
Anyone have any updates or predictions on opening. I originally thought Ford would want to open it by election next June but that seems impossible at this point! Doesn't seem like we are going to get the whole line operational until end of 2023 at the earliest it seems.

I live on Eglinton on the above grade portion and have not seen trains being tested... I guess the testing has gotten delayed.
I'm going with December of next year at the earliest but I think it depends on how complete the line is and if they can do full testing on the whole line from Mount Denis to Kennedy.

W. K. Lis

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
City:
Toronto

More likely they discovered "concerns" or "errors" that need to be "tweaked".

Therion

Member Bio
Reaction score
It does seem that the previous September 2020 and September 2021 timelines were disingenuous at best and actively misleading at worst. There's no way either of those was going to be met, underpinning delays and COVID or not. My guess for the line opening is late next year. Some stations are still pouring concrete, as people have pointed out. There's a tremendous amount of work that still needs to be done, and ML announcing Sept 2021 a while ago was ridiculous.

W. K. Lis

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
City:
Toronto
It does seem that the previous September 2020 and September 2021 timelines were disingenuous at best and actively misleading at worst. There's no way either of those was going to be met, underpinning delays and COVID or not. My guess for the line opening is late next year. Some stations are still pouring concrete, as people have pointed out. There's a tremendous amount of work that still needs to be done, and ML announcing Sept 2021 a while ago was ridiculous.
People can still use it if the landscaping is not done. Seen many a subdivision or condo development where people move in as they are still working on the project.